968 Forum 1992-1995

wanted:968 rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 01:36 AM
pearldrum
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation wanted:968 rear spoiler

hey, im from the pelican BBS, and was wondering if anyone had a 968 spoiler for sale, and if so how much?
Old 04-03-2002, 11:22 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by pearldrum:
<strong>hey, im from the pelican BBS, and was wondering if anyone had a 968 spoiler for sale, and if so how much?</strong><hr></blockquote>

On Pelican I thought you meant a front spoiler (airdam). There's a damaged 968 wing on eBay now:
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1818209519" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1818209519</a>
Old 04-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
If you mean the rear wing, look in the Rennlist Classifieds. There's some brand new ones for sale at $300 each. Keep in mind that you just can't slap this on the 944 hatch without modifications to the hatch. In addition you'll also need the side and center trim, rubber gaskets, 3rd brake light, etc. These parts are VERY expensive new and could easily cost $1000. The only way to go is to purchase a complete used hatch if that's what you are looking for.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:24 PM
pearldrum
AutoX

Exclamation

so any 968 hatch will do? the trim will be able to fit to my car? i knew that you needed the trim pieces but, I didn't know they were so expensive...
Old 04-03-2002, 06:07 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Tom's right, it's probably cheaper to find the whole hatch from a 968 so you get all the pieces you need and just swap the whole hatch.

I was shopping for a 968 hatch for a while. Prices ranged from about $500 to $1,500 plus shipping - and shipping is very expensive as these must be shipped by truck because they are too big to ship by UPS standard - I had found one in Florida for $500 but shipping was $350 - passed on that one!

I was lucky enough to find one in my area though, for about $470, and the guy was nice enough to deliver it to my door at no extra charge! Had to repaint the wing though - these get damaged easily if you are not careful storing or transporting them.

If you are mounting this hatch on a 944/951 then there are some additional minor issues that you will have to contend with. The rear brake light is mounted below the wing and sticks out enough to limit access to the hatch lock. If you get a hatch from a 1991 944S2, which has the same wing, the brake light is mounted in the normal position and you won't have this issue. The wiring connection for the rear brake light/wiper motor is different, and the latch pin mounts are different - they require gaskets that mount on the body. I'm going to try and swap my latch pin mounts from my 951 hatch though.

Try the <a href="http://www.968.net" target="_blank">www.968.net</a> classifieds also.

Regards,
Jim
Old 04-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by pearldrum:
<strong>so any 968 hatch will do? the trim will be able to fit to my car?</strong><hr></blockquote>If you buy a used hatch, it would be better to use it instead of the 944 hatch. The side trim on the 968 uses 7 attachment studs, not 6 like the 944. That means you'd have to drill some holes in your 944 hatch, and machine the area for the nuts. The 968 hatch also has 4 tabs on the back end to mount the center, below spoiler piece and 3rd brake light. It might be possible to fit the center piece from the '91 944S2, but I don't know how it attaches compared to the 968 version.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by jpapanas:
The wiring connection for the rear brake light/wiper motor is different<hr></blockquote>
Exactly what is different with the wiring? I hope it's not the pin that plugs into the car harness... [quote]the latch pin mounts are different - they require gaskets that mount on the body. I'm going to try and swap my latch pin mounts from my 951 hatch though.<hr></blockquote>I'm not sure this will work. The 968 hatch has a flat area on either side of the latch pins and this butts up against the gaskets mounted on the body. The body-mounted gaskets are a better design because they keep water out of the latch pin area... but they aren't cheap. The little buggers cost me about $45 each.

Quick Reply: wanted:968 rear spoiler