968 Forum 1992-1995

Painting 968 rear wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 10:22 AM
jpapanas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Painting 968 rear wing

I just bought a 968 hatch for my 951. I'd like to re-paint the rear wing and trim pieces to cover up some light scratches. Any recommendations on what type of primer and paint to use? It's made of a fiberglass-like material called Fibron.

Regards,
Jim
Old 03-29-2002, 01:53 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
I had the wing and all trim pieces painted to match the Guards Red on my car. It turned out really nice, but I haven't installed it yet It was done by a professional, which is what I recommend.

Be prepared to pay some money if you want this done correctly. The Fibron takes a lot of sanding and priming to get all the pinholes out and provide a smooth looking surface. The finish from the factory is relatively dull, so you don't see the many imperfections and wavy surfaces... but they are there, especially on the underside!

As for primer and paint, use whatever you would use to repair your car. I assume that would be a single stage catalized finish.

Incidently, I don't know what year car your hatch came from but if it is an early model, the rubber moldings for the side trim pieces have been updated to a MUCH improved design that won't fall off or come lose. I bought all new rubber for my hatch, including the two rubber gaskets that attach to the body around the latch pin (the 968 is the reverse of the 944... the gasket is on the body, not on the hatch). These pieces are expensive. Total cost just for the five gaskets was over $200. I am planning to take some pictures and list all the part numbers on my web site, but if you need or want them sooner, drop me a note.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:42 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Tom,

I'm not sure what year 968 the hatch came from - the price was right and I jumped on it - no questions asked! I didn't realize there were updates to the side trim gaskets. I hope I have the updated versions because I don't intend on replacing those.

I was thinking of swapping the latch pin mounts from my old hatch, so I wouldn't have to get the two rubber gaskets from a 968 that attach to the body around the latch pin. I need to find a triple square drive bit to undo the mounts though - not sure what size it is - 6mm or 8mm maybe - much smaller than the bit used on a CV joint bolt.

Just in case this doesn't work, what are the part numbers for those two gaskets?

I think I'm going to stick with the satin black - my car is black BTW. I don't think you should have painted the trim pieces red - just the wing - just my opinion, but I'd like to see pictures when it's installed. Attached is a picture of a red 968 with trim pieces painted red.

Regards,
Jim

Old 04-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by jpapanas:
Just in case this doesn't work, what are the part numbers for those two gaskets?<hr></blockquote>
944-512-465-02, left
944-512-466-02, right

These little buggers are about $45 each!

I can send you a picture if you like.

[quote]I don't think you should have painted the trim pieces red - just the wing - just my opinion<hr></blockquote>Yes, that's your opinion, but if you saw it in person, and not some picture, you might like it. This is how the 968 CS was done, as well as the 968 Turbo S, so I'm in good company
Old 04-04-2002, 02:21 PM
jpapanas
Advanced

Wink

All the pictures of 968 CS's that are in the registry on <a href="http://www.968.net" target="_blank">www.968.net</a> have the trim painted black and only the wing painted in body color.

So, I don't think you have as much good company as you might think, but the 968 Turbo S is not bad company at all!
Old 04-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

[quote]Originally posted by jpapanas:
All the pictures of 968 CS's that are in the registry on <a href="http://www.968.net" target="_blank">www.968.net</a> have the trim painted black and only the wing painted in body color.<hr></blockquote>I think I have some pictures of the CS with the trim in body color. I'll look... not that it matters... I'm not changing My main motivation for doing the trim in body color was it needed painting anyway, so might as well do it at the same time as the wing... plus it's more unique. I'll post some pictures when I get it installed.

Quick Reply: Painting 968 rear wing