Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Where to get a new antenna base aside from the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Where to get a new antenna base aside from the dealer?

Sunset wants about $116 for a new one. I noticed my brother's VW Corrado has the same roof antenna, so I called the local VW dealer and they want $130.

I usually don't mind paying up for new parts, but that's a lot of money for an antenna. I couldn't help but notice very similar antennas on ebay in the range of $20, except they have the wrong angle (too vertical). I have a used one, but I don't want to do this job again later.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a cheap version of the properly shaped antenna out there. I forgot where I read that and whether it said where to find one. Does anyone know?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

After hours of scouring the web, trying different makes/models, and sifting through different brands and part numbers, I think I found one worth trying. I found the brand Metra on Crutchfield, then eventually found a Metra antenna on Amazon which is the right angle (only a rough visual comparison) and has the right connectors. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-44UA30-C.../dp/B0007WRQ8U

I couldn't seem to find the Fuba Betaflex-D (or Beta-flex D) for sale anywhere, which I believe is the OE. Maybe it's NLA.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this:

http://www.antennax.com/p-1168-fuba-...tenna-kit.aspx

I don't know if they sell just the mount. I actually may have a spare mount, brand new, left over from a kit that I bought for a customer. He only needed/wanted the antennae. I've used this place for replacement antennas as they sell the Fuba mast separately from the kit.

- Darryl
Old 11-07-2010, 04:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Darryl, that looks even better than what I found. But is it amplified?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

No, I don't believe it is amplified. There are no specs listed as to signal gain or any technical characteristics, just that it's a direct replacement. My assumption is that the factory booster will work fine with this version. Are you having reception problems too?

- Darryl
Old 11-08-2010, 04:55 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I assume you're referring to the factory booster used in the cab. The coupe does not have that same separate booster - the booster was inside the antenna. I guess it would be possible to get a booster from a 944 (since they use a similar windshield antenna and thus a similar booster unit) but I don't want to do that.

Yes, reception problems, I tried temporarily connecting a spare antenna and it improved the reception greatly. So I wanted to just replace it with a new one because I don't think a used one will last very long.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

There is a booster for the coupe. It is a small black box located behind the trim panel that covers the sunroof lifting arms. It is directly under the antennae mounting location.

I've got crappy reception too but I suspect that the previous owner didn't connect the power to the booster and replacing my antennae didn't improve the reception all that well. That's when I found the booster location as I had thought about running a new cable all the way to the head unit.

I'll sort things out when I swap in a new head unit in the near future.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hmm. Are you sure? I don't have any kind of black box under my antenna. I've seen pics of a fuba antenna cut open and it has a circuit board inside - I can't think of why else an antenna would need a circuit board.

I confirmed that my head unit's power antenna wire is indeed connected to the antenna booster wire.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Arash

I replaced my antenna with one from a accura MDX - I don't have a good pix of it on the car here at work but below is the antenna - its FUBA, I neeeded an adapter that I got from crutchfield's and had to splice the power connections...

I still have my old bee sting somewhere (less the power contacts) it was working fine when I changed it out - just like the look better....

Sam
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sam, that antenna look pretty cool. Do you remember where you bought it and how much it cost? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

I'll snap a pic of what's under my rear trim cover next time I have it apart, which may be soon as I need to adjust my sunroof arms yet again.

I like that MDX antennae as well...nice to have an option or two.

- Darryl
Old 11-10-2010, 12:06 AM
EEZATOY
Advanced

I got it off ebay probably fours years ago now. At the time it cost about $30 and the adapter(I believe it was a VW adapter) from crutchfield was another $10 or so...here's a couple of actual pix
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the MDX antenna work similarly to the amplified oem? thanks
Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Yes the MDX antenna is powered (fuba) so plug and play with the for mentioned adapter...reception is same as with powered bee sting...

Sam
Old 03-03-2018, 12:12 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know how to remove and reinstall the base? A windstorm caused my car cover to separate the base and I'm not sure how to reinstall. Do I need to remove the headliner?

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick Reply: Where to get a new antenna base aside from the dealer?