968 Forum 1992-1995

Why a foam hood pad set??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:35 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Default Why a foam hood pad set??

http://www.jageng.com/garage9/produc...roducts_id=444

Found this, with 'forum' creds attached.

I like jageng, as you can see from the product shot of mine they use all over their site. But I'm wondering: what does this do except possibly accelerate rusting? Quieter engine, I guess...

I had to replace a 944 hood pad set once, because it had rotted out.

Some times I think those 'forum' boys just need a new thing to buy every couple of weeks.
Old 07-30-2010 | 05:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Porsche removed this from their hoods because this was acting as insultaion and keeping the engine temps too hot. They had a reason to get rid of it. You could see how the hoods of 951's would get oxidized from high temps and as you said, the foam would just crumble over time.
I would stay away.
Raj
Old 08-14-2010 | 11:02 AM
phil0618
Racer

I put some insulation on my hood predominantly to see if it would quiet things down and while it may have had some positive effect on noise I'm thinking of removing it because as Raj says I'm convinced my engine runs hotter.
Old 08-14-2010 | 12:37 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Porsche removed this from their hoods because this was acting as insultaion and keeping the engine temps too hot. They had a reason to get rid of it. You could see how the hoods of 951's would get oxidized from high temps and as you said, the foam would just crumble over time.
I would stay away.
Raj
Porsche only removed the foam insulation in some markets. In Europe the 1990 and 1991 951 cars came with hood insulation.

I do not think it makes the engine temperature any higher than running without. If anything, it helps prevent the factory hood paint from fading. Also, the finish on repainted hoods tends to crack without the insulation.

I have replaced it with new insulation from Porsche in my 1991 Turbo.
Old 08-14-2010 | 04:31 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Porsche only removed the foam insulation in some markets. In Europe the 1990 and 1991 951 cars came with hood insulation
Errrr... Not really.
None of all post-88 cars I have seen had that POS hood foam, including a respectable number of turbo cabs.
IIRC your turbo cab is Swiss spec though and cars for the Swiss market had all sort of nonesense added for pollution/noise, such as plastic gearbox casing and additionnal air box on S2s. Perhaps the hood foam was also part of it.
Old 08-15-2010 | 06:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Errrr... Not really.
None of all post-88 cars I have seen had that POS hood foam, including a respectable number of turbo cabs.
IIRC your turbo cab is Swiss spec though and cars for the Swiss market had all sort of nonesense added for pollution/noise, such as plastic gearbox casing and additionnal air box on S2s. Perhaps the hood foam was also part of it.

That's good to know. Thanks for clarifying. Tommye's 51 cab is also Swiss and has the insulation. The plastic gearbox casing was a Swiss 944S2 thing. The Turbo case is bare.

However, POS or not, the fact remains that the hood finish fades without the insulation. Both my cabs have factory paint and the S2 is considerably more faded, in spite of being a lower temperature engine. The Turbo would probably be matte by now without the insulation.
Old 08-15-2010 | 12:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

That's good to know. Thanks for clarifying. Tommye's 51 cab is also Swiss and has the insulation. The plastic gearbox casing was a Swiss 944S2 thing. The Turbo case is bare.

However, POS or not, the fact remains that the hood finish fades without the insulation. Both my cabs have factory paint and the S2 is considerably more faded, in spite of being a lower temperature engine. The Turbo would probably be matte by now without the insulation.
My experience has been the opposite. I found the hood insulation on my 951S made the red hood fade a lot faster than red on 968's, which don't have his insulation.
Raj
Old 08-15-2010 | 01:50 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I found the hood insulation on my 951S made the red hood fade a lot faster than red on 968's, which don't have his insulation.
Raj
I don't follow. You said earlier that U.S. 944 Turbo S cars came without hood insulation. Did you buy new pads and install them on your car? If so, was your 951 new when you fitted the pads? Otherwise, the heat had most likely already affected the hood finish. Especially on a red Turbo.
Old 08-15-2010 | 02:06 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I don't follow. You said earlier that U.S. 944 Turbo S cars came without hood insulation. Did you buy new pads and install them on your car? If so, was your 951 new when you fitted the pads? Otherwise, the heat had most likely already affected the hood finish. Especially on a red Turbo.
Yeah, I'd say it had more to do with the color. There's a reason so many call it guards pink.
Old 08-15-2010 | 04:29 PM
Thom
Race Car

Guards pink, Alpine yellow...
Old 08-15-2010 | 07:12 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

...and what does matte have to do with it? That's a finish texture.
Old 08-15-2010 | 07:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Etnier
...and what does matte have to do with it? That's a finish texture.
When paint ceases to shine, I'd say it becomes matte. As in no luster.
Old 08-15-2010 | 07:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

No, the turbo S did come with hood pads but they deleted them on a 968.
Raj

Quick Reply: Why a foam hood pad set??