Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Painting the centers of Zimmerman rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_Marv
the heat generated by the brakes when decending very long mountain passes, or heat generated on a racing track.
Lower gears? :\

Was always taught not to use the brakes on downhill roads...

Anyway, what's the advantage of something like that compared to caliper paint? Galvanic protection?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a little luck this discussion will be moot soon.
Zimmermman has been putting a coating on rotors lately.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Super_Marv
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Lower gears? :\

Was always taught not to use the brakes on downhill roads...
I can go down a hill with no hairpins using gears, but when you have around 30-40 or more, consecutive hairpins (like the Stelvio pass in Switzerland) it starts to become more difficult not to use brakes.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts

I wonder about using rust conversion paint after some oxidation has taken place?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_Marv
I can go down a hill with no hairpins using gears, but when you have around 30-40 or more, consecutive hairpins (like the Stelvio pass in Switzerland) it starts to become more difficult not to use brakes.
Where are you talking about, do you actually go to Stelvio or is there some place in GB you drive through regularly? I really really wish I had something like that close to home! Florida is flat

I'd be giggling with joy at the repeated heel-and-toe opportunities Anyway, if you do that once in a while (or more?), do you use extra air ducting?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Super_Marv
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Where are you talking about, do you actually go to Stelvio or is there some place in GB you drive through regularly? I really really wish I had something like that close to home! Florida is flat

I'd be giggling with joy at the repeated heel-and-toe opportunities Anyway, if you do that once in a while (or more?), do you use extra air ducting?
There's a few really good passes in England and quite alot in Scotland and Wales. Over here, if you want to tackle some properly impressive mountain passes, you have to head towards the European Alps.

The part of England where I live is pretty flat too.

Last year I travelled through the French Alps, Swiss Alps and Austria, covering about 4500 miles and nearly 30 mountain passes.

Brakes were absolutely fine and fade free, throughout. My car has M030 calipers, drilled brake discs (or rotors as you, our American friends call them), braided hoses, Pagid blue brake pads, and ATE superblue brake fluid and all of them manage to stave off brake fade, without needing extra ducting.

I'll be doing it again in late August/September, only I'm making the trip a bit smaller this time round - probably 3000 or 3500 miles.

Of course, there's plenty of great mountain passes in America, and I'd like to do them at some point too!

Quick Reply: Painting the centers of Zimmerman rotors.