Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Net is back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:43 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
it isn't likely it will go very far - unfortunately it will very likely go the route it went before, for the very same reasons - without active moderation, there are a few people who will just have to disagree with anything that we all know, just to be difficult - i'm sure the fighting and bickering will begin very soon - the very first comments on that site from one of those people were specifically intended to take pot shots - it won't be long before it turns into a mess

I don't agree. I think there are enough places for 968ers to visit and not get into the fighting and bickering. Hopefully that will happen and that 968.net will be just fine. I think it's biggest threat is that it may not get enough action now that people are comfortable with the existing forum sites they hang out at.
Jeff, I agree with you but none of these sites took off in weeks. It took years. I remember when Damian and I were some of the very few that frequented rennlist. There were maybe 1-2 posts a day. Over time, people saw what this place has to offer and have decided to be more active here. I would give it time.
Don't forget, if Ray is able to get back all the database, that place has a wealth of information.
Raj
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeff968
it isn't likely it will go very far - unfortunately it will very likely go the route it went before, for the very same reasons - without active moderation, there are a few people who will just have to disagree with anything that we all know, just to be difficult - i'm sure the fighting and bickering will begin very soon - the very first comments on that site from one of those people were specifically intended to take pot shots - it won't be long before it turns into a mess

I don't agree. I think there are enough places for 968ers to visit and not get into the fighting and bickering. Hopefully that will happen and that 968.net will be just fine. I think it's biggest threat is that it may not get enough action now that people are comfortable with the existing forum sites they hang out at.
Membership is going up daily, and people are coming out again after being dormant, it'll be fine. Look at how delighted everyone is to have it back!
Old 04-22-2010 | 04:56 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

136 members now!
Old 04-23-2010 | 06:53 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

I will be more blunt about this than I should be. As a 944 owner looking to transition to a 968 around the turn of the century, I glommed onto 968.net and stuck with it fiercely. I bought my 968 through that site's classifieds. I wrote up long-lost essays on this and that; contributed whatever I could to the ongoing discussion.

Then "net", without explanation, started dipping in and out of consciousness. The classifieds went for years without updating; the homepage the same, and finally, after a couple of false collapses, the forum went down for good. Through all of this the moderator remained completely above the chaos: he could not be found and would not respond to our calls for help.

Since then I've seen the alternative 968forums go through a change of ownership and due south, and I've come to this site. It's not very active, relatively speaking, but it has the weight of a much larger organization behind it, and works tirelessly to squelch b#$&@*!% squabbles: so prevalent in the 968 community that special notices live above our heads here like dunce caps.

968.net is back, and I have rejoined, but I don't trust it: I don't trust it to be there when the #$%^ hits the fan (squabbles, fights: issues). There's a loooong history to support this feeling. (Of course I don't know what went down behind the scenes, but I also know that not a word went out to members when the site collapsed, so it must have been Taliban in scale or I don't want to know about it now.)

I'm happy here and am too old to devote much effort to a site which walked away from me so definitively. I'm sick of bouncing around.

Sorry. I'm just sayin': I like it here.

Last edited by John Etnier; 04-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Net is back!!!