Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

What 968 projects are you working on right now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What 968 projects are you working on right now?

My 968 is on jack stands in my garage again for the following projects that I hope to have done in the next couple weeks before autocross season starts:

Removed front wheels for tire replacement and getting passenger side wheels repainted because the PO scraped them up a bit
Replace all coolant hoses, hose clamps, and coolant reservoir
Flush brake and clutch fluid, replace brake fluid reservoir
Replace passenger front wheel well liner
Thoroughly scrub front suspension, brakes, and wheel wells clean
Replace door handle gaskets on both sides
Polish ****ty looking late model exhaust tip

Last edited by PorscheG96; 02-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Today is door handle day for me, three problems: Passenger side difficult to squeeze the trigger, key will open door but not disarm central alarm, and handle gaskets on both sides. I've seen them all discussed here; off to the searches.

Jon
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new bushings, coilovers, belts, rollers, variocam pads + chain, + some new stuff to replace electric stuff in engine compartment (wires, coil, etc).

fun to see that there's also other people running with auto-x deadline - our first race is luckily end of May, so there's some time left.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch, flywheel and steering rack. Ouch$
Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Race car: remove int carpet; get about 60# of wight out of car; flush brake fluid; replace battery; change fluids; replace left side window net; rebuilt or replace starter; get 285-30-18's to fit on the front; add big rear wing and front spliter

Street car: replace door handle gaskets; fluid changes; rear diff bearings were just all changed out; get climate control to work regularly;
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Turbo:
1. Remove transmission, remove clutch, lube everything and put it back together
2. Install new brake fluid resevoir
3. Bleed clutch and brakes with new fluid
4. Install new expansion tank
5. Bleed coolant
6. Remove Cam tower, inspect lifter, replace bad/noisy lifter

Cabriolet:
1. Install new door handle back on
2. Check all belts and hoses
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

LOL, there are lots of people doing door handles lately! If you're replacing the gaskets without removing the handles then I found a trick that helped make it easier...I lubed up the door handle with cleaning soap and the big gasket slipped right on with a little effort to stretch it over the large section of the handle. Heating the gasket with my shop lamp also helped but lube did the trick for me.

Originally Posted by flwbyu
The clutch, flywheel and steering rack. Ouch$
You are also converting to the 2010 look in your avatar picture right?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

You are also converting to the 2010 look in your avatar picture right?
That would only add about $25k to the project...no problem.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

I got about halfway through my list this weekend with pretty much only cleaning left to do and installing the wheels after I get them back from Wheel Techniques. Don't let anyone tell you that replacing the coolant hoses at the back of the engine is fun - it's not!!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Highlander2
AutoX

Just replaced the clutch, upgrading the brakes with new pads, skimmed discs, SS tubes and racing fluid, and waiting for Carl to give me an updated delivered price for a st 2 supercharger unit.
Question to the educated board, have been looking at a coil over KW kit but when I did my 944 I just replaced the shocks and upgraded and lowered the T/B suspension. What do I need to do with the torsion bars if I install a coil over kit? No info on KW site.

H2
Old 03-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

996 steering wheel
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

1: Lubricate headlight motors to make sure they don't stick again.

2: Change transmission oil.

3: New horns

4: Figure out how Martino got my airbag light turned on while replacing a hydraulic line [which they of course deny]. Preferably get it switched off. Or maybe just disable the light itself.

5: Try and look up how old the timing belt is, most likely replace it and the water pump.

6: FINALLY install the hardwired power source for the V1 like I've been meaning to, and do one for the satnav and one for my mp3 player at the same time so I don't have to go back into the fusebox a second and third time.

7: Make the hatch open from the lock in back so I don't always have to open the driver's door and hit the button.

8: Fix air conditioning. Probably sell a kidney for a new compressor.

9: Wash, claybar, wax, then give up and admit I need a respray.

10: See if I can rig up some kind of steel cable or something to replace that plastic piece that keeps the glovebox door from falling all the way open.

11: Open up my speakers to see if they are, in fact, shredded, and if so, repair or replace them.

12: Align the car.

13: Admit the car is still all wonky, inspect and probably replace front suspension bushings, align the car again.

14: Buy a lot of glass polish and try to make windshield clear again.

15: Hunt down and fix power steering leak.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

^ WINNER!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely.
comments and Q's:
7: Make the hatch open from the lock in back so I don't always have to open the driver's door and hit the button.
Has anoyne converted rear hatch to a manual opener, i.e. take rid of the electrical opening of rear hatch? I think it's really stupid to be operated electrically.

probably the power steering oil tube from either end. I have similiar issue, luckily very very small leak.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
^ WINNER!

Reading all of that put together, it makes it sound like my car is a real beater! It's honestly not, it's a very solid car that operates like a finely tuned Swiss watch (an unbelievable loud watch), and I'm very much in love with it

Originally Posted by mattipuh
Has anoyne converted rear hatch to a manual opener, i.e. take rid of the electrical opening of rear hatch? I think it's really stupid to be operated electrically.
That's actually an excellent point. The only reason I can think of is that, since it already needs an electric opener for the driver's release button to work, it's easier to just splice in the hatch key to close the same circuit than to build in a separate manual linkage.

While we're on the subject...when I release the hatch, it usually needs to be pulled up just a bit, or sometimes even not that much (gust of wind across the spoiler, or a solid thump from me falling across the door sill), and then it lifts entirely on its own with the struts. Does anybody else's hatch just lift itself immediately when you push the button? Or does everybody need to pull on it first?

Originally Posted by mattipuh
probably the power steering oil tube from either end. I have similiar issue, luckily very very small leak.
Good idea, I'll check there first. My leak is also very very small, I really don't find myself running out of fluid or making puddles on the ground, it's just a little drip.

Quick Reply: What 968 projects are you working on right now?