968 Forum 1992-1995

Market value

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Market value

Any educated guesses what my 968 might bring right now? '92 Horizon Blue with two tone gray interior, 62k miles, tip tranny, immaculate shape with very up to date maintenance (I'll try to post everything I have done, but is a very extensive list). I'm the second owner of the car and have owned it for ten years.

I am thinking about selling it as I have plenty of other toys and its just not getting used enough.

Regards,
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$13k to $15k if I had to guess.
Same owner for 10 years and low mileage is a big plus.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great, great color, but you'll need to find a tip buyer. And as I like to say, you buy on the car and you buy on the owner, and you're well known and respected.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 125 Posts

It is a rare one. Only 34 Horizon blue cabs, 16 with tips, only 5 with the TU classic gray/light gray interior.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Tomb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am searching for a cab now. Can you post info or pm me.

thanks,

tom
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
User 41221
Banned

Here's some more detail on the car, if that will help y'all help me determine a market value for it:

Exterior: 9.5 out of 10 Its had some paint work done to it over the years, buts been very well done and you have to look very hard to see any evidence of it. It scores very well at concours/shows I have taken it to. The only issue with the exterior is that I *just* took a rock to one of the fog lamps and haven't replaced it yet.

Mechanically: 9.5 out of 10. Its very up to date on maintanence, in the last 6 months I've done the following to it:

Rebuilt and flow tested injectors (done by Witchhunter), front engine belts, water pump, rollers, all coolant hoses and coolant expansion tank, heater control valve, top engine cam pads and chain, spark plugs, cap and wires, fpr, fuel filter, in tank filter and injectors serviced, hall sensor and ref sensor replaced, motor mounts, front wheel bearings and rebuilt the power steering pump, front calipers and replaced the brake lines. That *should* give the car a few trouble free years, I hope! lol In the past couple of years, I put rear Konis on it, upgraded M030 caster mounts and I also replaced the steering rack due to a leaking seal a couple of years ago, but something is leaking again down there, so I will be digging into that shortly, as I can't tolerate a car that marks its spot. The only other mechanical issue is the heater control acts as an on/off switch (all on or all off, no in between) which I am pretty sure I can resolve by cleaning a few contact points in the switching system. Once I have those two issues taken care of, this car is a very solid 10 out of 10 mechanically. I just did a compression test on it, and it read 205psi across all cylinders. All the recent maintenance was done as "preventive" maintenance, it hasn't demanded to be serviced or been troublesome, its just that I prefer to stay ahead of the problems and when I do maintence, I try to service the entire system, rather than piecemeal it and get into teh "weakest link" syndrome.

Interior: 8 out of 10. Crack free dash, everything is in good shape, no tears or weirdness, but it did get some sun fade on some of the interior panels and they need to be resprayed if you want to make it a 10 inside. It has a CDR-220 in place of the original CR-1, which is a great upgrade, but I still need to swap out the CD panel so that you can see the display better.

Top: 8 out of 10. No tears, no fading, but the rear window is getting pretty hard to see out of and I have yet to find a product that will bring it back to new. Top raises and lowers properly and has the boot cover, which I have ALWAYS used whenever the top has been down.

I'm still not 100% convinced I want to sell it, but truthfully, it needs to be in the hands of someone who will enjoy it more. In the last year, I have driven it from KC to Vegas/CA, and taken several shorter trips (6 hours one way, that sort of thing) and had zero issues with it ever. Mods, let me know if you have any issues with me posting this as a quasi-FS post, and I'll modify it, but I am really torn on the "do I/don't I" at this point, so I figured I am within the rules.

Last edited by User 41221; 02-21-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

it's worth less than its real driving value because

1. the economy almost collapsed (and still might) and,

2. the PORSCHE 968 fills the only spot for "THE SUPERCAR THAT TIME FORGOT" category.

this is the only one that exists in that category.

in a few years there will be no manual 968s left in existence on the open used car market...

and if you choose to sell yours the car still won't sell for shix.

don't guess. don't think. don't worry. just pay it. insure it. clean it. fix it. upgrade it. retromod it.

and then FUXKING drive the **** out of it just like i did this morning for 10 minutes on I-75 here in central Florida with the sunroof open...
Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Scott, you know I love that color, so don't take my comment the wrong way. I hope you get top dollar.

$10k to the typical 968 shopper... if you can convince them to settle on your car as a compromise, because it's cheaper than what they actually want.

Or $15k if you find the barbie that actually wants it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:51 PM
User 41221
Banned

Well, that would make my decision easier then, if I have to give the car away, I would just keep it. Your typical $10k 968 will be a multi-owner car and have maintenance issues that will need to be factored into it, this car will have none of those. Some of y'all have seen this car, I think it shows extremely well and is as close to finding a "new" 968 as you will likely find, but thats what the purpose of this thread is, to try and figure out what the market value really is.

Also, I can take my time selling it, as I don't *need* to sell. I think a lot of the recent sales prices have been driven by the "bought another car/toy, now this one has got to go" or the "times are tough, the toy has got to go" scenarios, at least I am hoping. I have seen some nicer 968's sell in the low$20's (typically M030 coupes) so I know there is some upward mobility in the pricing for the nicer examples by folks looking for something from Porsche thats not a dime a dozen. I've looked at plenty of them, so I know they are out there.

I know that the tip kills the deal for a lot of folks, but I've never understood why. Its a freakin cab, if you want to get the racer boy thrills of driving a manual tranny, then the coupe is the car to be looking at. lol If you want to drop the top on a nice day and go for a cruise, its the perfect answer.

Its all relative, as in the end, its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. FR, I think you nailed it with the "someone who actually wants one" comment, and I think for me to sell it, it would have to be to someone looking for a car to show/special use, not as a compromise. Please keep the opinions coming.

Last edited by User 41221; 02-21-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure putting it on the market and keeping it there until you get a good enough offer, while still owning and enjoying it yourself, is the way to go. Anything less than $15k for that car would be a compromise on your part which you don't need to make if you have the time to wait.

Until then, maybe you can please our optical pallets with some pictures of said car?

Tips are just not as popular, but I do agree I think it makes more sense to have one in a cab.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
Its a freakin cab, if you want to get the racer boy thrills of driving a manual tranny, then the coupe is the car to be looking at. lol
Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Tips are just not as popular, but I do agree I think it makes more sense to have one in a cab.

Even my wife won't drive anything except a manual in a car let alone a sports car.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedBump

Even my wife won't drive anything except a manual in a car let alone a sports car.
Ditto. We have 3 cars in my household. All have a manual transmission. The only Automatic cars i've ever purchased were cars that were only avail with an Auto gearbox (like my Audi A6 4.2).

Automatic 968's have their place and there are plenty of people who want them. i think most die hard enthusiasts will pass however. My Fiance would kill for this cab (she wants a horizon blue cab so badly) if it were a Manual.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
wiseman
Advanced

Scott,
I'm in the same position. I posted my car on Autotrader with a nice high price of $18K. But with all the documentation, ($14K spent in 5 years on it), if somebody wants to pay me for it, they can have it, if not, I'm going to keep it and enjoy it and all I have doen to it. When I get serious in a couple of years about buying a new Cayman S, I'll sell it then for the market..........but by then will have had many years of enjoyment.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fox944
Automatic 968's have their place and there are plenty of people who want them.
Oh I agree, I just found the concept that it belongs in a cab more than a coupe rather humorous.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Going back to the original def. of a sports car...i would have to agree as well. I would not take either car with a tip...but the Coupe is more of a grand touring car and the tip is better suited for it, especially considering that its lighter. A Cab is a true sports car.

Quick Reply: Market value