968 Forum 1992-1995

Top 3 968 strengths and weak points?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
I get asked if this is a new Porsche model, so that's a strength, no?
I once had someone ask me if mine was a Ferrari. IMO, the 968 cab is the best looking convertible Porsche has ever made.

Cons? Once in a while it is cold enough my girlfriend makes me put the top up. (About 3 days a year)
Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlearl476
IMO, the 968 cab is the best looking convertible Porsche has ever made.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
I once had someone ask me if mine was a Ferrari. IMO, the 968 cab is the best looking convertible Porsche has ever made.

Cons? Once in a while it is cold enough my girlfriend makes me put the top up. (About 3 days a year)
I definitely agree the 968 Cab is the best looking convertible Porsche has ever made. The power is plenty sufficient for me, considering it's a cab and used for cruising mostly. I have classic car insurance on it with a limit of 5k miles per year. I love the car even though I've spent more dollars on it than miles I've driven it, having experienced just about every one of the downsides, pinion bearing, door handles, odometer gear, lights in gauge cluster, motor mounts, even a clutch implosion. But every time I've thought about selling it, just driving it once changes my mind. I've put it up for sale three times, and backed out canceling the ads every time. I had no trouble selling my 996 or my first Boxster, although I have had trouble parting with a few cars. Of all the Porsches Ive had in the last 38 years, the 968 is the one I don't think I will ever sell. My son will have to do something with it after I'm gone.

The only complaint I have overall is that the clutch is too stiff for my wife to drive in traffic. It is about twice as hard as a Boxster. I don't understand why, and my mechanic says nothing else can be done to make it easier. I think her driving habits caused the clutch to fail in the first place. 100 degree day, stuck in traffic for over an hour, stop and go. About the time she got off the interstate and changed from 2nd to 3rd the clutch disintegrated. He said he picked the parts out of it for an hour.

One other thing is latching and unlatching the top. Something might be wrong with mine, it's hard to get the tool to work, but about the same as an old Targa. I use a ratchet, an extension, and a deep socket to get a better angle. Does everyone have a problem with the angle, or is something just wrong with my top?
Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

awesome. the coupe isn't bad either.

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 01-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Meh I agree with John, the 356 cabriolet takes the cake.

My 968's clutch is also unacceptibly stiff, and it never ceases to annoy me!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 AM
sergiomartins
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the clucth is that heavy.... but then again everyone differs in opinion. it might have something to do with the pressure plate, most replacements kit's from Sachs come with a 3200 pressure plate and the original one was 2500 made by AP i believe.
Also might influence the dreaded firewall cracking problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compared to an S2?

Disadvantages:

-Weight (apart from CS models)
-Styling (apart from side mirrors)
-6 speed box vs 5-speed
-Cost of purchase/ownership

Advantages:

-Newer car
-Variocam
-Better shaped side mirrors
-Carl's s/c kit!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sergiomartins
I dont think the clucth is that heavy.... but then again everyone differs in opinion. it might have something to do with the pressure plate, most replacements kit's from Sachs come with a 3200 pressure plate and the original one was 2500 made by AP i believe.
Also might influence the dreaded firewall cracking problem.
I don't think it's a difference in opinion, I think it's a difference in cars. Some 968s have heavy clutches, some have light ones. My '95 has a clutch that feels like a leg press, my '93 feels normal.

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Disadvantages:

-Styling (apart from side mirrors)
-6 speed box vs 5-speed
Those are subjective... Some people like the 968 styling more , and I for one have a preference for the 951/S2 5-speed.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, the 6 speed box is much better than the 5 speed. Seems to shift allot better as well.

Thing I hated most was the clutch engagement with the DMF when compared to the spring centered clutch in my 951.

Quick Reply: Top 3 968 strengths and weak points?