Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Pelican parts super transmission mount install instructions...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pelican parts super transmission mount install instructions...?

I purchased super transmission mount from pelican parts during last winter, and now I planned to install it. but, have lost the install instructions somewhere. Requested new ones from pelican parts, but they didn't have them. yihaa.

Would anyone have install instructions available, and post me a short version of it? When installing this mount there's need to add new holes to crossmember, and this is the reason it would be very helpful to get correct measurements where to make new holes.

cheers,
matti

Last edited by mattipuh; 09-25-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: smaller photo added... :)
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like the rubber section is for the transmission itself and the solid section is for the cross-member. Take distance measurement of the solid side and you should have your mounting points. You should drop the cross-member, otherwise you risk rupturing the gas tank.
Raj
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

yeah I think it's better to take crossmember off to make holes. maybe we'll get the required markings somehow to crossmember, by analyzing the old mount position also. assy instructions would just be good safety thing to check wheter our measurements apply.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think it will work on the 968 transmission. The rubber bushings would go to the crossmember and the aluminum would bolt directly to the transmission. But the 944 (which this appears to be designed for) has a steel crossmember which is lower than the aluminum crossmember used in the 968. I have actually never seen an aftermarket transmission mount that is designed to go on the 968. Lindsey racing has instructions for a similar mount that may help show you what I'm talking about:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/UTMTMTECH.html
Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Julian, that pictures from Lindsey makes sense. So, this would get mounted on to the actual transmission mount that is moumted to the cross member and replace the section that connects it to the transmission.As Julian stated, it looks different from a 968 setup
Thanks.
Raj
Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm quite certain the pictured mount won't work on a 968 crossmember with the 968 two piece mount.
This aftermarket mount is designed for the steel crossmember of a 944, not the aluminum crossmember of the 968.
Both the 944 and 968 trans mounts are two pieces, but the intermediate piece, that is the aluminum factory piece the above posted instructions have you remount (from the factory urethane mount) uses two bolts and is quite short. The 968 mount is also two pieces, but its intermediate piece is much longer and bolts to the urethane mount with a single long bolt. I'll see if I can get some photos to reinforce my statements.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the Link Julian.
Yes, if I just remember right this mount was also ment to replace the rubber/urethane part of the trannymount. Too bad that I don't find the original manufacturer from which I could ask more details.

I got the manuf email from pelican helpdesk, but cannot find any shop according that email, and no response from them either.
The stated manufacturer is Asher Racing Products, but couldn't find any info on them.

Still it feels abit weird if pelican sells items which wouldn't actually fit to a car they mention.

Quick Reply: Pelican parts super transmission mount install instructions...?