Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Suspension - while we're in there questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension - while we're in there questions...

Hi all,

By way of background, my 968 has 85k miles, has been well cared for and has yellow Koni's, weltmeister sway's and 200lb springs. It used to have 18 inch wheels but it was a bit rough so I'm back to 17 inch wheels now.

My 968 is currently in the hands of my good friend and excellent mechanic. He had some time on his hands so I'm having him do a variety of things. One of the items was that I'd been hearing the more than occasional "thunk" out of the front suspension.

He put the car up on stands today and his take is that the rear A arm / caster blocks need immediate replacing, but he doesn't see anything else that causes him any alarm. So the question on both of our minds is whether it makes sense to just go ahead and replace the caster blocks or if we really should be compelled to replace other items "while we're in there..."

In searching other threads it seems that removing the front A arm bushings is a pain and apparently best done with A arms off the car. The net is that it seems that going beyond the caster blocks is annoying and potentially time consuming so that if we don't really need to go farther to then it's great to avoid it.

On the other hand I don't want to be foolish if there is something else that really should be done.

I await your counsel.

Best,

Phil
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would mark where the castor blocks are, put in new ones and then see if it solves the problem. Have you had him check out your ball joints? They can also make some noise when they're worn. Good luck!

Steve
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Where in the front suspension?
When I had a thud sound coming from the front suspension while going around low speed corners it was a front upper strut mount. Anything causing a thump or thud coming from the caster blocks would be visibly broken. I would try and isolate the sound a bit more before changing anything. Just my 02...

Quick Reply: Suspension - while we're in there questions...