968 Forum 1992-1995

Replacement 968 Cab speakers??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement 968 Cab speakers??

I have a '92 968 cabriolet that has an aftermarket tapedeck and CD changer installed by the dealership upon delivery to the original owner. The quality of the sound terrible! I don't want to have a big, loud speaker-machine, but I would like to be able to enjoy music without the speakers breaking up and with zero bass response. My question is this: What replacement speaker options are available? I haven't pulled any of the panels yet, but I have the M490 option on my 951. Did the 968 come with the 8/10 speaker option standard? My door speakers in the 968 have the same "speaker pod" under the door pull as my 951. Does that mean I can use 3" and 5 1/4" speakers in the doors and 6 1/2" speakers in the rear with no modifications? I'm eager to get better sound, but won't consider anything that doesn't retain the factory look or cannot be removed and returned to OEM. Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
I have a '92 968 cabriolet that has an aftermarket tapedeck and CD changer installed by the dealership upon delivery to the original owner. The quality of the sound terrible! I don't want to have a big, loud speaker-machine, but I would like to be able to enjoy music without the speakers breaking up and with zero bass response. My question is this: What replacement speaker options are available? I haven't pulled any of the panels yet, but I have the M490 option on my 951. Did the 968 come with the 8/10 speaker option standard? My door speakers in the 968 have the same "speaker pod" under the door pull as my 951. Does that mean I can use 3" and 5 1/4" speakers in the doors and 6 1/2" speakers in the rear with no modifications? I'm eager to get better sound, but won't consider anything that doesn't retain the factory look or cannot be removed and returned to OEM. Thanks in advance!!
No, it wasn't standard, but for the money they were charging when new it should have been.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some good write ups and mods for the cab rear speakers out there.
I don't think there are any good threads on this board though.

Yes, the door panel speakers are 5 1/4". Be sure to get speakers that are not too deep.
You can put a 3 1/2" in the pod as well, but you'll have to trim the pod.

There is also a DIY for replacing the door tweeters.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would call crutchfield and see what they have available. You should be able to get a nice setup from them.
Try the search dfeature here. There has to be some recommendations.
Raj

Quick Reply: Replacement 968 Cab speakers??