968 Forum 1992-1995

cylinder head seal - need info

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Apex
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cylinder head seal - need info

I'm rebuilding my cylinder head - the diagram shows part #45 - 928 105 262 00 - called "pin".

However the diagram shows both seal and pin.

I ordered the part from Sunset - and got just the pin but not the seal.

One source tells me that the early cars had the seal, and late cars just have the pin. Another, larger seal covers all this - #20 in the diagram.

Can someone else who's been "in there" confirm this to be the case? My car's a 1992 - OK to just leave the "extra" rubber seal off?

Apparently if you don't put the pin in - oil squirts up through the hole - no harm in that, I guess. I've got the pins - I'll use 'em. Not sure quite what their real function is.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's OK to use just the pins. This is how my engine is set up, and I just confirmed it with my build pictures.

The holes are probably for if the head is installed on a 928 engine, where it would be oriented in the opposite direction for the other cylinder bank. The pins are to block (or at least reduce) oil flow. Without them the rest of the head would be starved of oil since open holes would have almost no back pressure
Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Apex
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

46 - Yo that makes very good sense. It's a 928 part - I had not realized the same head would be used twice by the 928. Onward, then. Thanks.

Quick Reply: cylinder head seal - need info