968 Forum 1992-1995

Ribbed AC Belt "Crawled" (Fixed!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:29 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ribbed AC Belt "Crawled" (Fixed!)

(Following up the note below) I'm pretty **** about regularly checking belt tensions so when the AC ribbed belt started crawling I checked closer and found that one of the AC compressor bolts had broken, allowing some play that allowed the belt to not track straight. Since the bolt had broken inside the threaded portion of the AC unit, I dremeled a slot in the small nub of the bolt tip that was exposed and backed the broken portion of bolt out with a screwdriver. This was way better than removing the AC compressor and having to recharge the AC.

The AC in my 968 runs colder than that in m 928 so the 968 will be my primary car until cold weather hits. The B&B muffler sounds great and the car is running at the top of its game. Great cars!

Now...if I'd only had this car when I was 19 years old......

H2
==================

Today I did the annual belt tension check and noticed that the AC ribbed belt had "crawled" forward a rib. I replaced it with new. I wonder why it did this?

Using the manual to install the new belt I noticed that the belt tension (using the 9201 tension tool) varies depending on belt thickness. The thinner belt is set at the 8.5 setting. Thicker belts are 9.5. I remember when I installed the last belt (3 years ago) I used the 9.5 setting. Perhaps this stretched the belt a tad too tight?

At any rate, it's installed and tensioned, did a test run, and will check the setting again tomorrow after the engine cools.

The cam belt and toothed belt were still spot on after 3 years and looked brand new.

BTW, belt tensions may be different for AC and non-AC equipped 968s. See the WS manual.

H2

Last edited by H2; 07-13-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Ribbed AC Belt "Crawled" (Fixed!)