968 Forum 1992-1995

How rare is my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How rare is my car?

I've owned 944 Turbos for a long time, but I recently bought my wife a 1992 968 cabriolet. Naturally, I did my research on this particular car prior to purchase, and with the exception of some seat wear, it's in as-new condition. However, while checking the car over, I noticed that it had quite a few options that were not listed on the options sheet in the trunk, but it did have the code 09991, which I believe indicates that it was a "Special Wishes" car. The color is Cassis Red Metallic, and I haven't found any information on another 968 cab in that color. Needless to say, my wife is just happy to have her own Porsche now, and especially because it's a "girly" color. We're not interested in selling it either, but I am curious if I bought a car that was 1 of X from the factory.

Last edited by ramius665; 07-04-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard, 9 posts and a member already, well done. Nice car, Jeff C will have all the info on your wife's ride.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:08 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Cassis Red cab

Hi Ramius,
Congrats on your new car. I was speaking to Rick and Ronda about the car before you purchased it and told them to give you my contact information. Yes, that is truely a special 968. Did they give you the window sticker for the car? They had sent me a copy. Your car actually has 4 factory options. You have code XD4 which are the painted center caps. Having those gets you the 09991 exclusive option code. Your car also came with a power driver's seat, option code 437. Those two features are very common. What makes your car special is the exterior and interior. The exterior, as you know, is code 52 cassis red metallic. This was a special metallic paint color only offered in 1992. It cost $1600 extra back in 1992. There were only 2 968 cabs produced in that color for the North American market (of a total of 2,008 NA 968 cabs). I've also seen the other cassis red cabriolet and it is a tiptronic on the west cost. Being one of two is pretty great but it gets even better. Your car also has the optional full leather interior in black/light gray (code TB). The full leather cars are very rare, only 30 produced as they were very expensive ($4,190). I have one as well (mine is black inside). But your's is the only 968 cab produced with the full leather in the black/light gray full leather so for that it is one of one. A pretty special car!!! You need to join the Porsche club and become a member of the 968 register. We would love to meet you and see your special 968 at one of our events. Please send me an email at jeffery.coe@snet.net if you have any other questions. Oh, and get that timing belt changed. Rick told me it had not been replaced in 10 years and the car lost one once already. Best of luck. Jeff

Last edited by jeff968; 07-05-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, Jeff C, if you can shed any light on this car it would be greatly appreciated.

I've posted over on 944online for the last few years, it's a good forum but they have been getting awfully negative over there in the last year or so.

Like I said, this is my wife's car, but unfortunately it came at a price. I have a 1986 Martini 944 Turbo https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ini-951-a.html that had an engine fire care of my Lindsey Racing fuel rail. The insurance settlement was about $2k over what I had put into the car, so I certainly got a fair deal but now I'm in the process of removing the engine, rebuilding it, and then seeing if the car will still work. Does anyone know how to test a DME or KLR unit that is no longer in the car to see if they still function? I'm concerned that when the fire first broke out that I may have shorted something.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

See above...
Old 07-04-2009, 01:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car would look much better with either Cup 1 or Cup 2 wheels rather than the chrome twists IMHO.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Jeff... Email sent.

My wife and I are partial to the Cup wheels as well, but the previous owners wanted boxster wheels when they bought it, so boxster wheels went on it. We will likely source some factory wheels when we get finished rebuilding our 944 Turbo. The intention with this car is to keep it completely stock, and return it to it's factory specifications. The only non-factory modifications are the wheels and a positively ancient alpine tapedeck and 6 CD changer with blaupunkt tweeters in the doors. They were installed by the Sarasota, FL Porsche dealership when the first owners took receipt of the car, but it sounds so horrible that we will look for something modern that is still tasteful.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, so far 968 ownership has been considerably more enjoyable that with our 944 Turbo.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

it's a "girly" color.
Damn, I dunno. I think it's a hot**** color myself!!!

But, yes, those wheels gotta go LOL.

Congratulations!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Very nice purchase. Great car in a rare color combo...... keep the wheels and enjoy it.
Drive the heck out of it, and you will find that even guys that own other Porsches will not know what it is and they will flock to it in the parking lot.

Welcome and enjoy.

Cheers, Joel
Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Lose the wheels, get the Euro turn signal lenses and lose the bumperettes, and do the belly button mod.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Lose the wheels, get the Euro turn signal lenses and lose the bumperettes, and do the belly button mod.
The intent at this point is to return the car to the condition that it left the factory in. I can't find any information regarding whether it came with the 16 or 17 inch cup wheels, but I'll likely be sourcing some 17" because there are way better tire choices. I'm unfamiliar with the "belly button mod," would someone care to explain it?

At the few PCA events we've attended since purchase, we have gotten a wonderful response. We've entered the car in a show 'n shine this weekend, should be interesting to see the reaction from the public compared to rice-rockets and muscle cars.

Unfortunately though, the weather and roads in Northern Virginia are horrible, so we haven't done nearly the driving that we would like to. Thank God we're moving back to Texas at some point.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Your car definately came from the factory with 16" wheels. These are found for sale all the time and depending on condition, are fairly cheap. If you want to change to 17"s then there was a 17" wheel option available on your year car when new which would "appear" correct. These are sometimes refered to as "Cup1s". See another thread for how they look. There was a second style available on the later 968s sometimes refered to as "Cup2s". See the same thread, not "correct" but often used for 968 upgrades. Of course, there are many other kinds of wheels that will work. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by ramius665
The intent at this point is to return the car to the condition that it left the factory in. I can't find any information regarding whether it came with the 16 or 17 inch cup wheels, but I'll likely be sourcing some 17" because there are way better tire choices. I'm unfamiliar with the "belly button mod," would someone care to explain it?

At the few PCA events we've attended since purchase, we have gotten a wonderful response. We've entered the car in a show 'n shine this weekend, should be interesting to see the reaction from the public compared to rice-rockets and muscle cars.

Unfortunately though, the weather and roads in Northern Virginia are horrible, so we haven't done nearly the driving that we would like to. Thank God we're moving back to Texas at some point.
Bumperplugs makes keyhole covers; I modified on to fit the trunk release keyhole, it really smooths out the back of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Ah... I agree with that modification then!! Looks wonderful. Damian, how many 968 cabs came in speed yellow? My wife was curious, we wanted to make sure our 968 was in an interesting color and loves the look of your car.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And what's the deal with chromed wheels on a 968 anyway?

The original owner of my white '95 coupe (since sold) had chromed the car's Cup I wheels, which by the time I purchased the car were pitted, so I threw them away. But, I can't imagine that they ever really looked good on the car.

Quick Reply: How rare is my car?