968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Intro: Newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
968 Max
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink 968 Intro: Newbie.

Hey Guys, I've been putting off posting on here.. I just joined the group and I'd like to begin with a brief story about how I got my Nine Sex Eight.
My name is Max, and I live on Long Island; I'm an Engineering student and I enjoy many hobbies like photography, model aviation, carpentry, and many others..
I was at a Team Finals competition in Moscow Idaho in 2007 competing for a spot on the US Indoor F1D Team.. While me and my buddy Rob (he's a car guy; has a BWM 318ti and a Lotus Elise, he also hand sculpted many of the original patterns for Mattel) were out to lunch to the local "Taco Time" we spotted a Guards Red 944 on the University of Idaho campus, my buddy mentioned to me how I could pick one of those up for like 10k.. I said I got at least 15 I can do that. We spotted a maroon colored 944 later on also in great shape.. When I returned from my trip I hopped on eBay looking for a 944 and realized most of those cars were as old as I am.. in the search tab in eBay the next model down was a 968; I've never heard of a 968.. I thought I'd check it out.. There was only maybe 6 search results and one of them caught my eye (first photo). I contacted the seller and told him I was interested and that I would fly out to Chicago to check out the car, turned out he was a Ferrari guy and an Architect, another of my interests.. I felt as if I made one compromise when I bought the car it was looks/condition over a 6-speed.. The car came with factory wheels and 18" r6 Moda Wheels which are heavy as hell, uncomfortable, but look cool.. the car also had the muffler chopped off and had a straight pipe out the back with a Magnaflow Tip.
Where does everyone get their front lip/spoilers from? I'm not in favour of the GT-R Racing one available as it looks weird, not sure how to describe it but the sides protrude out too much unlike the OEM one.. I'd like to make minor mods to my car like the clear directionals or even longer orange ones so they eliminate the bumparrettes.. Rob suggested a conical shaped air filter from K&N, are you guys down with that? I'd also like to put in a new stereo system with perhaps 8" Subs located in the storage compartments of the Cabriolet.
I will be selling the OEM Muffler if anyone is interested as well as the Moda Wheels although they aren't in such great shape, but if I could score 300-400 for them with tires I guess it would be fair..
I started up a flickr 968 Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1109048@N22/
My photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mzaluska/
In the future I'd like to put in The Club Sport Seats (which I believe are Recaro Pole Positions) or the more expensive Sportster seats along with a 930S Leather Steering wheel and RUF Speedline 17" Wheels..
I appologize this post reads like a rant, but I've been putting off for too long to post on here and I wanted all my thoughts in one post..

P.S. I'm looking to get a few local 968 guys together for a cruise in CT sometime soon, end of June or in July, on the Merrit PKWY or the local roads; my parents have a house up there that would be great for a meet and photo-shoot; I'll make this work with Jeff Coe as I'm sure he can get the flock together better than I can!

Thanks for having me!

Max
Attached Images      
Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Car looks great! Lots of good folks here with plenty of knowledge.

Cheers, Joel
Old 06-07-2009, 04:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome

You can get the front splitter here:
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p68001.htm

You found the best 968 site on the web, the owners/experts here are second to none.

P.S. For those who aren't familiar with F1D:
http://www.indoorduration.com/BuildingF1D.htm
Amazing planes to see in person.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car, welcome. You mentioned clear corner front lenses-none are available that fit properly. Schatzmotorsport sells the longer Euro lenses that eliminate the rubber pads. Carnewal in Europe sells the Turbo S splitter. Stick to the Dave Greimann airbox mod, don't bother with a cone filter. Grab a Promax chip. Get the Clubsport steering wheel, it'll transform the car. MO30 sways.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

I gotta say I'm very happy to read that you're replacing those Modas with a wheel better-matched to the car's lines and original design.

I run 16" rims in the winter with snow tires and 17" with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's in the summer; both sets are from Porsche. While the 17"s permit much more aggressive driving, in realworld situations I sometimes think I'd prefer staying with the lighter, less obstreperous rims, which don't tramline. The overall feel is substantially lighter and more responsive: more fun in a lot of ways.

Welcome aboard!!!

PS (on edit): those are great photos!!! Really something. I love that wall of portraits reflected in your car. That's brilliant.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking car! Damian's advice regarding cabrio mods & upgrades is always spot on.

Good luck with that 968.

Richard
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Good shots, Max. I'm here on the island, too, drop me a line when your CT trip comes together, or if you have a gtg down here...
Regards,
Donn C.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Great looking car! Damian's advice regarding cabrio mods & upgrades is always spot on.

Good luck with that 968.

Richard
Richard, you have me blushing!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 PM
968 Max
Intermediate

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm surprised someone on here knew what an F1D was! John the reflection off the hood is the Long Island Children's Museum and the following picture I got Lakehurst NAV Hangar 1 in the reflection; Hangar 1 Stored the famous Hindenburg (briefly) and the Airship Blew up not too far from it..
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...81122355tZvoGi
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...81122355ROwldK

I'm down with those Euro Lenses, they're not too expensive. I'll pick up the Club Sport (930S) Steering Wheel as well.. The Euro is strong and that Spoiler looks mighty expensive, plus god know what to get it shipped to the states.. 968 Engineering is down, does anyone have the PDF for Dave Greimann Airbox Mod?

Damian thanks for all the valuable info I can't seem to send you an email or PM via the board due to restrictions.. Where can I get the ProMax Chip? I found it at k300 Performance, but I think I remember trying to get in touch with them a while back.. I'd like to get this chip as well.

Max
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM
968 Max
Intermediate

I spoke to Jeff about the Meet.. we hope to settle on a Friday or Saturday in Mid-July.. It'll be a cruise then a get together BBQ at our house in Easton CT..
Damian, would you make it from the Dirty Jerzy? Donn, come along with me.. I'll be making it up there from Long Island.

Max
Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

let me know when, I lived in Easton '86-87 ( geez, I'm old ), wish I'd never left...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the date I might drive down.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I should be down for this as well.
Raj
Old 06-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

If I'm around I'm in. Anyone thinking of going to the Glen for the Indycar race July 5th?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Max- great looking car and welcome. The guys here all know thier stuff so you are in good hands and welcomed company. I am coming up to Ct for my cousin's graduation on the 26th for a few days.. maybe I'll stop by and say hi to a few of you !! and if you should ever need some used parts I have 2 parts cabs and piles of stuff.

Some thoughts- The convertable top stuff is VERY hard to find so some words of advice. If the top seems like to is going down hard or one side looks like it is doing all the work STOP and check it out- these cars have 2 motors and 2 cables for the top, one on each side. It is not uncommon that one dies before the other or a cable breaks. Why this is a problem - if you keep putting all the stain on one side the side support arm for the top is not designed to do all the lifting and will crack. It is like finding the holy grail to fix. Porsche no longer makes this part unless you want to shell out over $1500.

Also Never throw away any of the rubber window trim these too are no longer made by porsche. I replaced the top one time and thought it would be a great time to replace all the rubber- WRONG- I would had to spend around $1600 a side to do this from Porsche. If a trim piece falls or is ripped off for some reason save it and we can help you put it back on....

Other than that I think our cars are no more complex or expensive than any other Porsche- ENJOY!!!

Cheers ,Mike

Quick Reply: 968 Intro: Newbie.