968 Forum 1992-1995

Anti lock brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti lock brake light

My Anti lock brake warning light keeps coming on. I did bleed my brakes and I thought that would take care of it. No luck. Your thoughts???

Thanks
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does that intermittently -- I suspect either the ABS computer or the pump failing.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Time to get a diagnostic tool. I have the durametric tool and it works pretty well.
Raj
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Often it's a wheel sensor or the wiring to the wheel sensor. If you can find the wiring harness to the ABS brain you can put a DMM on the wires to each wheel. First look for an open circuit (broken/disconnected sensor or wire) and then look at the AC voltage signal while driving slowly. Low or so signal could be a bad or very dirty sensor.

If the ABS light comes on right away it's usually a problem the system can detect while the car is sitting still. If it waits to come on until you have moved a bit, it's either waiting for the pump test or not seeing a strong signal from all four corners.

-Joel.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

There is a ground somewhere under the glove box area that gave my ABS light fits. Found it obviously loose, tightened, no more problem. Worth a quick look.

I'd run out and confirm where it is exactly, but the car is in the another state right now.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Time to get a diagnostic tool. I have the durametric tool and it works pretty well.
Raj
That nor the Bosch Hammer will diagnose that ABS system. Porsche has a different tester specifically designed for it. Thanks Porsche.

Definetly check to see if a sensor is dirty, that would be the mostly likely cause of the light coming on sometimes.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Thanks for the help crew!!

I did remove and check the front sensors and plugs, but have not done the back ones yet. I will check them this week (I could have used the anti lock brakes this week at the Glen).
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
That nor the Bosch Hammer will diagnose that ABS system. Porsche has a different tester specifically designed for it. Thanks Porsche.

Definetly check to see if a sensor is dirty, that would be the mostly likely cause of the light coming on sometimes.
Are you 100% certain? Have you used the Durametric tool?
If you check their website, it clearly states that the unit can communicate with different modules, unlike OBDII based diagnostic tool.

From their website: www.durametric.com

What systems does it work on?
DME
Airbag
ABS
Tiptronic
Alarm
Seat Memory
Heating & A/C
And more...

*Not all features are supported on all modules or vehicles. More Information

How does it work?
Our product is a hardware and software tool that plugs into your Windows PC's USB port. Once plugged into the car the software is capable of reading and resetting the different modules in the car. Please look at our online demonstration to see how it works

Can it really turn off my airbag light?
YES! Not only can the system turn off the airbag light but it can tell you why it is on in the first place.

How is your product different from the OBD2 products available?
Our product communicates with your car just like the factory tool does, and can access all of the systems in the car. OBD2 was created for emissions related problems and only covers a limited subset of your car's engine.

I will test it and find out for myself.
Raj
Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

If you get stuck and want to troubleshoot I have a ABS module, sensors, and brain... isn't the ABS brain seperate from the controller..? hummmmm don't remember. Either way the controller located behind the passinger wheel under the winshield washer tank is a BITCH to get out. I almost would rather pull a tranmisson or something eaiser.

Let me know if you need anything- Cheers, Mike
Old 05-30-2009, 04:54 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I get the same thing periodically on the track and it's the sensor at the wheel that gets crud on it. Not sure if this is what's causing your problem but it was with mine.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Forgot to mention you can borrow items if you need to troubleshoot if you have not found the gremlin yet..

cheers, Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 10:34 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

I pulled the back sensors over the weekend, and the RR had vgrease on it. I was hopeful that would take care of it. No luck.

If air got into the unit, do I need to bleed it?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:56 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Are you 100% certain? Have you used the Durametric tool?
If you check their website, it clearly states that the unit can communicate with different modules, unlike OBDII based diagnostic tool.

From their website: www.durametric.com

What systems does it work on?
DME
Airbag
ABS
Tiptronic
Alarm
Seat Memory
Heating & A/C
And more...

*Not all features are supported on all modules or vehicles. More Information

How does it work?
Our product is a hardware and software tool that plugs into your Windows PC's USB port. Once plugged into the car the software is capable of reading and resetting the different modules in the car. Please look at our online demonstration to see how it works

Can it really turn off my airbag light?
YES! Not only can the system turn off the airbag light but it can tell you why it is on in the first place.

How is your product different from the OBD2 products available?
Our product communicates with your car just like the factory tool does, and can access all of the systems in the car. OBD2 was created for emissions related problems and only covers a limited subset of your car's engine.

I will test it and find out for myself.
Raj
If the Bosch Hammer can't pull codes from the ABS unit what makes you think any other code reader can? The ABS unit is not on the same communication lines as the DME, ALARM, AIRBAG, and TIPTRONIC systems. Those are all that can be read with the hammer and anything else for that matter.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Really, it's a stupid question... but have you peeked under the glovebox for a ground? Just saying... this drove me nuts and it turned out to be none of the sensors, just this one stupid ground connection inside the cabin. My 2 cents, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Hi Dave,

No I have not yet, but I will. I only thing is, that I had all of the calipers and rotors off this winter when I upgraded the suspension. After I got it all back together, the light came on. I saw Pete (RS Barn) yesterday at NJ Motor Sports Park at a DE. He also told me to check the grounds and the plugs at each wheel. So I have some things to work on this weekend.

Quick Reply: Anti lock brake light