Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anti lock brake light

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Righto. Pete lives and breathes the 968. He would know.

It's nice to have a hobby that fills your weekend, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the abs still functioning?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago

It's nice to have a hobby that fills your weekend, isn't it?
+2 It sure is.... waiting to hear what the real issue was, so when my light comes on I'm ready.

- good luck - Mike
Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so guys, what was the end results with durametric and resetting airbag and abs lights?
I'm struggling with airbag light (have done the driver's airbag delete with 2x1,5ohm resistors, and that worked fine for 6months, but now the airbag light is on. replaced resistors with new ones, with same bugging result. I've started considering getting durametric, if that could make it possible to reset airbag light.

What does the "reset" mean with duramteric - can you actually turn off airbag light for good, or is it just temporaly, after it comes up again?

Duramteric pro is a big pricey, but then - it would function as a analysis tool for next porsches (is compatible for p-cars after 1990, so I think it would eventually pay itself off.. ,)
Old 02-09-2010, 03:49 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a fault causing the airbag light to come on, it will stay on until you use a diagnostic tool to reset the light, regardless of whether or not you correct the error. In your case, the replacement resistors may be fine, but you won't know until you get it reset.

There is no way to turn the light off for good with a diagnostic tool. If you search my name I started a thread about the airbag light last year. I believe someone mentioned which wire you need to disconnect to get rid of the light.

You could always go to a shop with the diagnostic tool and have them reset the light for you, definitely less than buying a durametric.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

local Porsche dealer is not willing to touch this, because of safety equip has been removed from car. I believe it is official method, because they don't want to get liable if there's some accidents or such, after air bag removal.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Does your ABS warning light come on after just starting the engine but vehicle stationary after say a few minutes ?
or
Only after vehicle has accelerated over say 15 MPH or so ?

The reason is that the ABS relay in the CEB is a common thing to fail with age , and it will cause the ABS warning light to come on ( engine just started but vehicle stationary).

However if the ABS warning light only comes on when the vehicle goes above say 15 MPH then its a ABS sensor or sensors
These sensors can be checked with an oscilloscope ( that's what we use) individually at the ABS control unit to identify which one has failed .

All common stuff

Regards
BB
Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Hi Guys,

I thought I posted my results...so my bad.

I did take both rear ground wires off, cleaned the terminals and attachment area. And this fixed the problem with the anti lock brake warning light.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Hecatonacles
4th Gear

Default ABS issues

I have a problem. When I come to a slow stop my ABS triggers. So stop lights or signs anything like that they ABS kicks on. Any other time during regular driving the brakes are fine. I had it into a shop they checked and cleaned all the sensors and assosicated parts they could think of and nothing. They said they didn't have the diagnostic equipment to check the ABS unit and gave me the car back. Since then when Instart the car the ! Button light comes on and I press it and the ABS light comes on which fixes the problem of them coming on because I am guessing the ABS isn't working then. Anyone had an issue like this or any ideas how to resolve it?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 PM
bill3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

If your ABS light is on (meaning the ABS is deactivated), then be careful under heavy braking, esp. on the track. Porsche (in its infinite wisdom) changes the brake bias with the ABS off with much more front braking.

I learned this the hard way then the light came on at Pocono some years ago (due to a bump); I kept driving and the first time I went to the brakes hard, I flat spotted the RF: took the whole bottom off the tire. And it wasn't my braking: I've hit the brakes much harder in the same spot with the ABS on and never had it activate.

For that reason, my car now as an ABS reset switch...

Quick Reply: Anti lock brake light