968 Forum 1992-1995

Difference between water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm curious....are the 968 waterpumps you're talking about original new built in Germany or rebuilts...either in Germany or USA? There have been mixed reviews about rebuilt 928 WPs. When the metal impellers come loose, it does a lot of damage.

H2
Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New factory water pumps are the 2.7L flow rate. All of the 2.7L that I have seen have had the plastic impeller. It is supposed to flow better than the 2.5L ones because of the impeller design, and I think the diameter is a little larger. If you get a pump that has no 2.5L or 2.7L casting it means one of two things, it is a rebuilt unit or a Laso unit which makes them for Porsche but Laso doesn't flow test them so there isn't a casting with the flow rating on the pump. The X at the end of any Porsche part number means its a rebuilt unit. Stay away from rebuilt waterpumps, the one that I tried wasn't assembled properly and the impeller was sticking out too far which didnt let it spin when it was torqued down. Talk about a real pain
Old 05-17-2009, 12:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

While we are on the subject I need to purchase one- any sugestions...?

Cheers, Mike
Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought an original, new Porsche WP from Sunset but that was a few years ago. Don't know what they sell now. You can request a German Built, Not-Rebuilt, Not Laso....and see what they can come up with. Rebuild quality varies, Laso has a checkered history. Laso may be German built (?) but, among 928 owners, the review is mixed.

Depends on who you talk with. Those who've not had problems will say good things. Those who had problems will say bad things. In any WP line there will be good and bad. You want the offering that has the best record. A WP is not something to skimp on in an inference engine.

H2
Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by H2
Depends on who you talk with. Those who've not had problems will say good things. Those who had problems will say bad things. In any WP line there will be good and bad. You want the offering that has the best record. A WP is not something to skimp on in an inference engine.

H2
Totally agree, as soon as the 951 gives me the garage spot back I'm going to dive into the engine...

Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Difference between water pumps