My engine problems, why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
Ouch!!
The other side looks just as bad Luckily no damage to the head.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

In the pic the piston end of the rod appears to be twisted. Is that real or an illusion?
I zoomed in as much as I could but there isn't enough resolution to get an opinion of the failure mode. One of the guys on the 951 board is a materials engineer and metallurgist with 30+ years experience with aluminum alloys. He's also a friend and professional colleague. If he had a hi res close up or the actual hardware he might be able help out.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O
Tim,

In the pic the piston end of the rod appears to be twisted. Is that real or an illusion?
I zoomed in as much as I could but there isn't enough resolution to get an opinion of the failure mode. One of the guys on the 951 board is a materials engineer and metallurgist with 30+ years experience with aluminum alloys. He's also a friend and professional colleague. If he had a hi res close up or the actual hardware he might be able help out.
Mike,

I'll get a high res pic and send to you. The rod is bent, but I assumed that happened after the break when it was acting as a jack hammer. The wrist-pin side of the rod does not appear to be bent.

Quick Reply: My engine problems, why?