Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Dash board repairs- has anyone tried this? cracks fixed how?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Dash board repairs- has anyone tried this? cracks fixed how?

Hey all, So I am starting to tinker with my 951, if things do not turn around soon I will have to sell her so I wanted to fix a few blemishes. The only flaw in the whole interior is the dash cracks. Its black of course. I came across the following procedure... thoughts?

What have you guys done to fix this? I have an additional dash in my parts 968 but it has some crasks and is grey..... thought I'd ask. Cheers, Mike

here is what I found- http://www.9xauto.com/plastidip.htm

924-944 Dashboard Re-facing Solution
For cars with heavily cracked dash boards, where plastic Dash-Cover is not a desired option.
NOT FOR CARS WITH AIR BAGS

The issue of 924-944 cracked dashboard has hunted many of us for years. The dashboard on many 944’s has disintegrated beyond any repair. It resembles a cracked egg shell on the boiled egg. Out of frustration, 9xauto have decided to find an inexpensive solution to the dashboard re facing problem. The solution was found by completely removing the vinyl layer and replacing it with Plasti-Dip. Plasti-Dip is a fast drying acrylic based vinyl. It is heat resistant, playable, and very strong after drying. It comes in the liquid form, and suitable for the hand application. The material forms a durable as well as sand-able rubber layer. It is a perfect choice for the dashboard re facing.

924-944 dashboards were made out of poly urethane foam, pressure molded in to the metal frame. Textured vinyl is vacuum shrink-wrapped as a final finish.

The goal is to replace this textured vinyl with another material which will bond to the poly urethane foam base without removing the dash board out off the car.

To reface the dash board;
1. You need to remove an original vinyl
2. Paint the dash board 5 times with Plasti-Dip
3. Sand it all down to the semi-smooth finish.
5. Paint the dash board with black acrylic-based vinyl paint.

The dashboard re facing using Plasti-Dip, demonstrated an unprecedented improvement over the original "Cracked" surface. Not OEM finished, yet it does not hang sloppy or warps on the heat like a plastic dashcover. Your result will depend up on your paint handling skills and patience.

We offer these 3 black color (14 oz cans) plus a detailed instructions with key points on how to commence.

3 (14 oz.) bottles of Plasti-Dip with instructions (Add to Cart) $38.95

WARNING: Plasti-Dip is an acrylic based material. It is flammable. Take every precaution to stay away from the fire sparks, or a static electricity.
INSTRUCTIONS

The Goal is to replace an existing damaged vinyl, with similar material
The original dashboard was made from polyurethane foam molded around the metal frame. Then, the dashboard was shrink wrapped with textured vinyl. Our project consists of replacing the cracked vinyl without removing the dashboard from the vehicle.
To start, remove all plastic trim from the dashboard. It is everything that is mounted on it, including the steering wheel. Do not be lazy. Do not mask trim with a tape. It will not peel away if covered by PlasteDip.
After the plastic is removed, the job is to peal the existing vinyl. Start pealing the old vinyl from the bottom of the dashboard moving upward, taking one strip at the time.
It is very important not to damage in any way, the yellow base foam under the vinyl. The later applied material will not fill every bump or a hole created as a result of inaccurate vinyl removal.

PLEASE REMEMBER: you cannot remove the old vinyl from under the windshield. It is fused and folded in this area. Pulling it away with needle nose pliers will result in the cracked windshield at its base.

To effectively deal with this problem, the vinyl must be cut before it is completely removed. It is also must be cut around the side pillars as well. For better control the cutting can be done by a DREMILL
If foam is damaged under the vinyl, it must be patched and repaired by the epoxy based flexible filler. No silicon-based rubbers should be used, since the material we are applying will react with silicone by deforming and separating it. The applied layer of our material will amplify any inaccuracy of the surface.

Material characteristics:
There are two types of Plasti-Dip consistency available. One is a 16oz can with a consistency of a sour cream. Another, is a spray type where Plasti-Dip is highly diluted. We have chosen to work with thick undiluted PLD.

After the vinyl is removed you are ready to apply the firs layer of PLD. Use 5” furry roller with a long handle. Pour PLD right from the 16 oz. container to the top of the dashboard. Quickly spread material evenly with a roller covering the entire dashboard. Let it dry for an hour. Apply PDL material 5 times. Let it all dry for a day or two. Now you are ready to send. Send your dashboard with metal-grade sandpaper 400 fine. Make sure you leave no bumps. If desired, you can repaint and sand your dashboard, as many times as you like until you reach desired results. All you need to do now is to paint your dashboard with desired vinyl spray paint available in every automotive store. Enjoy your new dashboard.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man...that does not sound like fun!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike, is this something you are willing to offer as a service?
I would be happy to send my cab's dash at some point. Since it was used as a daily driver by the previous owners, the dash took a beating.
Raj
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Very funny Raj.... for you sure, I'll only charge you a mere $1K ...considering how "flammable" it is I require hazard bonus pay.

I do not know how well this will work or not.. since I have two dashes t oplay with I am considering trying it. I'll let you know how hard it is.... I gave up on the plastic overlay for the dash. It simply looks cheap.

Cheers, Mike
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My other choice is to have 928leathers do it. They do amazing work.
Raj
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

I think the best sollution is preventative maintenance. The Dash on my Coupe doesnt have a single crack in it(knocks on wood). I am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner took great car of the interior. My '87 944 had quite a few cracks in it.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Give a shout to the Paterek brothers, they would probably know if it works or not. Or if you'rea member of PCA check the board for info.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 PM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that procedure looks like a PITA... I do them with the dash out and takes way less work
of course the desired "fix" is a new one from Rob Budd at 928leathershop his work is incredible
Old 02-27-2009, 06:12 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Or, you can pull the dash and send to justdashes.com, who will re-vacuum form original vinyl and new foam (if needed), and send you back a truly new dash. http://www.justdashes.com
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Is the later 944 dash the same as the one in my '93 968?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stew, should be the same.

Steve
Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Trevor and I just recently found out the late 944 dash is not identical to the 968 dash. In appearance they are the same, but they are fastened slightly differently. The bottom line is the 968 has a couple extra screw holes on the outer sides, and screws to the center tunnel differently, but in both areas it can easily be adapted either way.

I did this once - removed a dash, stripped it down, and attempted to refinish it. It was fun up until my newblette (lack of) skills botched the job and I ended up buying a plastic dash cap to cover the ruin that was my dash. But I was working with fiberglass and resin (don't ask - retarded 928 owner suggested it), this stuff Mike linked to sounds cool.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I did this once - removed a dash, stripped it down, and attempted to refinish it. It was fun up until my newblette (lack of) skills botched the job and I ended up buying a plastic dash cap to cover the ruin that was my dash. But I was working with fiberglass and resin (don't ask - retarded 928 owner suggested it), this stuff Mike linked to sounds cool.
so you blame someone else for your lack of experience?
fiberglass repairs work if you know what you're doing and exercise some patience
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Peter North
Banned

Wow, that still looks like ***. Won't look good unless recovered with new material IMO.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh please. Just because you and others were able to execute the fiberglass repair with consistent results doesn't make it a good choice. Read my post again, I didn't blame anyone for my lack of skill (or anything), I admitted it. The blame goes to me for even trying it. Fiberglass is a bad thing to coat a dash with. It will look like an 80's Honda dash. The only thing that would look good is reupholstery. This liquid vinyl spray won't be perfect but would dry like a layer of vinyl. And most importantly, doesn't require skill to execute well, which is what people should be trying first! All this is just IMHO so please take it FWIW.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 03-01-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Dash board repairs- has anyone tried this? cracks fixed how?