Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jack_of_diamonds
How do you know if the two will mate? If I get the KW V3 suspension for my 944 and I get Camber/Caster Plates from Ground Control and the top of the suspension and the plates are both 60mm, will they work?
Just wondering if you considered the camber plates from Racer's Edge. They keep the suspension at the stock height and don't have potential hood clearance issues that apparently the Ground Control units have. I have them on my S2 and have had them since 1999, which translates to 95K miles.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:08 PM
Funwithdesign
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I also forgot to mention that GC sells bottom mount mounts still that you can use.

the main advantage of top mounts is lowering while keeping suspension travel for better ride quality.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:59 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Funwithdesign
the main advantage of top mounts is lowering while keeping suspension travel for better ride quality.
If someone is fitting camber plates with spherical top bushings I don't think they are really interested in ride quality
The following users liked this post:
Funwithdesign (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 PM
Funwithdesign
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
If someone is fitting camber plates with spherical top bushings I don't think they are really interested in ride quality
Lol well yes, 😁

but having full suspension travel is always good, then you can lower but aren't always riding on the bump stops.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:50 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

How do your Racer’s Edge plates ride on the street and on broken pavement? Is it really jarring?

I am considering a full suspension rebuild on my 94 968, with Motion Control Suspension struts and RE camber plates.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sm
How do your Racer’s Edge plates ride on the street and on broken pavement? Is it really jarring?

I am considering a full suspension rebuild on my 94 968, with Motion Control Suspension struts and RE camber plates.
It's hard to say how much the camber plates affected the harshness since I installed them at the same time as my M030 type double adjustable Konis with 300 lb/in 2-1/2" ID Hypercoil springs. I also have 18" wheels. I don't think the plates affected the ride so much, but they definitely added some NVH, but I'm used to it now The camber plates definitely keep things aligned better.

I have a full set of MCS struts and rear coilovers (non-remote) I got from Karl at Racer's Edge. I was going to put them on the S2 to replace the Konis, but I think I may leave that car alone and put them on the 951 instead since it has original (tired) parts. The MCS stuff looks amazing. If you go with MCS I'd definitely like to know how you handle mounts for brake line, ABS connector and brake cooling deflector, all of which attach to stock struts and those attachment points are not on the MCS units.

So, I purchased an extra pair of 2-1/4" ID lower spring perches, my thinking being I could thread those all the way down, drill some top-to-bottom holes and attach the ABS connector and brake like with Ty-wraps. Not sure what to do about the brake cooling deflectors; maybe install a cooling duct kit, or I may look into having some aluminum brackets machined to mount these various items, but those could be costly?

Cheers.

Last edited by Tom Pultz; 07-20-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 07-20-2021, 07:55 PM
sm
Drifting

It's hard to say how much the camber plates affected the harshness since I installed them at the same time as my M030 type double adjustable Konis with 300 lb/in 2-1/2" ID Hypercoil springs. I also have 18" wheels. I don't think the plates affected the ride so much, but they definitely added some NVH, but I'm used to it now The camber plates definitely keep things aligned better.

I have a full set of MCS struts and rear coilovers (non-remote) I got from Karl at Racer's Edge. I was going to put them on the S2 to replace the Konis, but I think I may leave that car alone and put them on the 951 instead since it has original (tired) parts. The MCS stuff looks amazing. If you go with MCS I'd definitely like to know how you handle mounts for brake line, ABS connector and brake cooling deflector, all of which attach to stock struts and those attachment points are not on the MCS units.

So, I purchased an extra pair of 2-1/4" ID lower spring perches, my thinking being I could thread those all the way down, drill some top-to-bottom holes and attach the ABS connector and brake like with Ty-wraps. Not sure what to do about the brake cooling deflectors; maybe install a cooling duct kit, or I may look into having some aluminum brackets machined to mount these various items, but those could be costly?

Cheers.
Tom: Great to see you active on RL again. Your car and website was a go-to reference for me when I first got into these cars 20 years ago.

The 968 has the front brake cooling scoops mounted on the control arm IIRC. As for the brake fluid line and sensors - I had not even thought about that. I do like your idea though.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:30 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sm
Tom: Great to see you active on RL again. Your car and website was a go-to reference for me when I first got into these cars 20 years ago.

The 968 has the front brake cooling scoops mounted on the control arm IIRC. As for the brake fluid line and sensors - I had not even thought about that. I do like your idea though.
I've spent the last 17 years working on the house and not the cars, so have not been very active on the forums. Now that the house is pretty much finished (will it ever be?), and I'm retired, I have more time for the cars, and frankly, more disposable income

Ha, I haven't touched my website in years. Don't even think I have any suitable SW to modify it; need to check. I really only keep it active for my email.

Coincidently, I do have a set of the 968 deflectors that attach to the control arms. I was going to put them on the S2 since it has 968 control arms. Not sure what version of control arms are on the 951, but I think they are a mismatched set of something, which was the only thing available when my son had them installed (the 951 was his until he gave it to me... so I could spend all the money on it!).

In the 968 PET, Illustration 402-00 there is item 22, "air guide." Do those attach to the strut like the 944 air baffle plates?
Old 07-20-2021, 11:27 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sm

I have RE camber plates with stock M030, 17" wheels and don't find the local county roads to be harsh.
You'll be fine with them, they're quality pieces.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:00 AM
sm
Drifting

I've spent the last 17 years working on the house and not the cars, so have not been very active on the forums. Now that the house is pretty much finished (will it ever be?), and I'm retired, I have more time for the cars, and frankly, more disposable income

In the 968 PET, Illustration 402-00 there is item 22, "air guide." Do those attach to the strut like the 944 air baffle plates?
I am working on the house now - it doesn’t end.

I just snuck my phone under the car and took this picture. There’s a piece that attaches to the control arm, and a scoop that attaches to the strut.

Originally Posted by mj951
I have RE camber plates with stock M030, 17" wheels and don't find the local county roads to be harsh.
You'll be fine with them, they're quality pieces.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: KW suspension and torsion bar