968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Clubsport seat Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Ok thanks for the info . I've also heard there are two variants, one called the "CUP seat" and one called the 968CS seat. I dunno about the difference but it's probably in the cushion. I know the particular one I am looking at has the sub belt strap hole in it from the factory, which is good if you are looking to use a 5pt. harness.

JP, are you sure about the pricing? It seems very defensive if you ask me?

£1000 for the pair?? That's even cheaper than the standard pole positions.. Sounds strange.. I would have guessed 2k+ for a nice set..

I'm beginning to think I am too large for these seats. Might have to go for a Recaro SPG XL instead.
£1000 / pair is about right in the UK.. [Used]...+ dependant on condition...
I sold a pair about 3 years ago for £750.
Dont forget they are second hand + the Pole positions will be new....
Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't there a Recaro dealer/expert on the UK site that could clarify all info on the CS seats-how many versions, which Recaro model were they, etc etc? After some UK tracktime in a CS with the seats I looked into buying them from PAR in NY and having them trimmed and painted speed yellow for my cab but never followed up.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just but new recaro's and have the buckets painted to match.
99% of people who see them will not have a clue that there is a difference.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moook
£1000 / pair is about right in the UK.. [Used]...+ dependant on condition...
I sold a pair about 3 years ago for £750.
Dont forget they are second hand + the Pole positions will be new....

Ok, I stand corrected . I just know that Colin at 9M did a full GT2 conversion for a customer and he wanted the real deal (correct seats). So what they did was they bought a 968CS, took out the seats, retrimmed the seats on leather, bought standard PPs and put them in the 968CS and resold it. It just seems strange that they would do that if they're only £1000 for the pair.

Mook, please feel free to shoot me a PM if you come across a pair for that kind of money, I would be all over those . Maybe they would have to make a pit stop at Southbound on their way to Sweden though .

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I've also heard there are two variants, one called the "CUP seat" and one called the 968CS seat. I dunno about the difference but it's probably in the cushion.
The "CUP seat" you refer to is probably the seat of the 944 turbo Cup.
The Cup seat has significantly tighter shoulder supports. I can't tell if this is caused by the different cloth/cushion or a hypothetically different shell.

I find the CS seats far more comfortable than the normal seats, though I must say I'm pretty thin and they fit me like a glove. Since I have had them I don't feel lumbar pain after 50 miles which has been the case with normal seats, and I usually use my car for 300+ miles journeys.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:12 PM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 9M probably did that because it was the only way to get a pair - on average perhaps a set a year come onto the market in the UK.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM
biotechee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put me second in line behind vhanzon if anyone has a set to sell...

I probably wouldn't fit into them, but it just might be the reason I need to shed a few pounds!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As frogy has said, these 968 CS seats are as rare as "hens teeth"...
Thats why 9m did this..
Actually it was they that bought my "old" ones from me..
Typically the VERY next day i was offered £1000 for them, but as im a man of my word i sold them to the first person..
As far as i know, they arnt available from Porsche anymore. Thats why they are much desired second hand...To the purists that want to fit them to there 964 RS "replicas" etc etc etc ....
IF i ever come across another set ,, they will be over £1000 .....
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Heres mine which were 968 CS units that have new fabric covers, I purchased them used and went with adjustable side brackets because I am 6'2", and modified my stock electric seat sliders to replicate the manual versions!

I have checked with Phil at the Porsche parts department through Sunset and he informed me that the only ones he was showing available were the 944 521 003 60 CJT and the 004 which are the correct 968 CS seats with fabric covers and CJT means black painted back. You CAN modify the late 944/968 seat rails to use these or you can purchase the real sliders although for just the sliders and brackets its over $600 a side. And one of these seats are $2,629.90 so at over $6K for a new set they tend to not really be even thought about, and if you want to go the leather route then look to the 964 # seats which are basically the same seat but have several different leather color choices that came as an option on the American Roadster, and the speedster! Those will cost you over $7K for a new set!
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I need your collective help. I have two of these seats, but the foam and vinyl covers are ****.

Has anyone been able to source a reasonably priced fabric seat cover replacement (including foam) for these Recaro Pole Position style seats??

PS, the easy way to tell the difference between the street legal ClubSport seats, and the race-approved seats, is that the street seats usually have the plastic grommet clips around the harness holes, whereas the original race seats have the fabric/vinyl covers glued to the harness holes. Plus the race seats usually have an FIA or similar approval sticker on them, in addition to the TUV sticker.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Just do some research locally and find the best auto/marine upholstery shop you can! Then just work with him on finding the material you would like him to re-create each of the covers & cushions. It shouldnt be a problem for him as this is there profession. Or you can order the original pieces from Porsche as there still available!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the factory seat covers in cloth from Porsche are $1000+cdn, per side. No thanks, I can buy a whole new seat for that much. Recaro North America hasn't been very helpful either.

I guess local upholstery is the way to go.

Quick Reply: 968 Clubsport seat Q