Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Check Out teh cool headlight config on Eric Krause's 968 racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

yep, we've been admiring Eric's setup for a few years.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just got finished....
Name:  SAM_0096.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  182.3 KB
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Pablo - looks cool - just hit those rivets with a sharpie!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bombfactory
Pablo - looks cool - just hit those rivets with a sharpie!
Now THERE is the brilliant idea of the day! Thanks...

LOL.. You can see where my attention to detail is not when it comes to race cars!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Erik,

Your headlight conversion looks great. Do you by chance have a picture of one of the lights as it's mounted in the fender? I definitely want to do something like this on my car. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
redbaron
Instructor

Pablo,

Your 968 looks great modified, hope to see it in Hershey.

Don
Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Pablo, looks great! Have you noticed an improvement in the visibility at night? Any strain on the electrical? Thx!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Now that a number of these have been done, could somebody please provide a step-by-step "how to"? I'd be very interested reducing my trial-and-error time by getting some guidance as to:

- How are the buckets formed?
- What should they be made out of? Fiberglass? Plastic? If plastic, what kind?
- What type of lights?
- What type of clear plastic is the cover made of?
- How do you cut the cover piece to get a clean edge?
- How do you aim/align the lights?
- How are the various parts attached?
- etc.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
aj hartman
5th Gear

Whats up guys? I'm the one that did the headlight conversion on Pablo's car. He said some of you expressed interest in it so figured I would chime in. Pablos car is strictly a race car so they are more for awareness and passing then driving at night. I will say that when we were loading the car onto the trailer at night, they lit up my driveway just as good as anything else.

The big difference is in the headlight covers. It seems most people just use a flat piece of lexan or plexi. When I was making Pablos, I built a vacuum former and a mould to make the lens more resemble the shape of an original headlight so it has a nice rounded, almost dome like shape to it.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

AJ,

Thanks for chiming in! I emailed Pablo about his headlights, and in his response, he mentioned that you had them, as well as a lot of other work to his car, and he spoke very highly of you.

I think I'm going to take a crack at making the buckets myself, as I'm on a tight budget, and I like to do things myself anyway, but your curved covers really do look great. Would you sell them separately? If not, what would you charge for a set of buckets and covers? I'm converting my car to a mostly-track car, and want to get rid of the pop-ups because of the weight savings, and also for the space it frees up to add a larger oil cooler, and brake ducting. Thanks.

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 03-24-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pablo,

The car looks great!

Jason
Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
porsche_968
Advanced

Hi AJ,
ANy chance you can do more of the lens covers / light buckets for the rest of us....Have been waiting for something like this for a looooooong time....thanks for giving us hope
Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 PM
aj hartman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
AJ,

Thanks for chiming in! I emailed Pablo about his headlights, and in his response, he mentioned that you had them, as well as a lot of other work to his car, and he spoke very highly of you.

I think I'm going to take a crack at making the buckets myself, as I'm on a tight budget, and I like to do things myself anyway, but your curved covers really do look great. Would you sell them separately? If not, what would you charge for a set of buckets and covers? I'm converting my car to a mostly-track car, and want to get rid of the pop-ups because of the weight savings, and also for the space it frees up to add a larger oil cooler, and brake ducting. Thanks.
I didn't make a mould of the buckets cause a lot of people use different headlight configurations or different size lights. But the cover is pretty much universal. Just a few "L" brackets is about it. I would be more then happy to sell you a set of covers. Send me a PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason and all for the compliments!

Don: Hershey... Have not been up to date on it. I am open to trailer her up if I have no schedule conflicts. Lots of custom pieces. Need to get info on dates etc.

FLWBYU: Have not used the lights yet other than driving up the trailer. But judging by that, they will work well. I believe Eric switched to PIAAs. I am using Hella units. So far no issues with electrical. AJ did the electrical as well. I also asked him to wire a push button on the steering to flash them

All the credit goes to Eric for the inspiration and initial "how-to". AJ for the superb custom fabrication and installation. I just researched and sourced the lights...
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
aj hartman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by porsche_968
Hi AJ,
ANy chance you can do more of the lens covers / light buckets for the rest of us....Have been waiting for something like this for a looooooong time....thanks for giving us hope
Yeah. I can do the covers. Didn't make a mould of the buckets for a few reasons I mentioned in my above post. Maybe if theres enough interest in a complete kit I could put something together but right now its just the covers.

The buckets I just used some sheet aluminum, and radiused the inside edge for a cleaner look.

Quick Reply: Check Out teh cool headlight config on Eric Krause's 968 racer