968 Turbo RS NACA ducts and Intercooler outlet

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 968 Turbo RS NACA ducts and Intercooler outlet

Hi all

I thought I'd post a few pictures of some recent development work we have carried out for our 968 turbo RS replica that we are currently putting together again. We also wanted to build a perfect replica of the Turbo RS bonnet including the NACA ducts and the intercooler vent...

After some searching we managed to purchase one of the last sets of OEM parts and were really looking forward to receive them...this then turned into disappointment:
the OEM items both for the NACA ducts and the intercooler outlet are poor quality and most importantly not symmetrically built at all...so not parts that we wanted add to our car in that shape and form...

The NACA ducts were for the bin so we have taken their dimensions and started to build a proper replica which had to be perfectly symmetrical.

The IC outlet was looking better and usable as a basis for a proper product but it also required lots of corrections and bodyfiller...

after a few dozens of hours of development we were very happy with the quality of the products...

enough words...let the pictures talk:

Both products are for sale on our website...

I hope this helps anybody out there wanting to build a proper Turbo (R)S replica and is looking for these parts in very good quality...

Cheers

Beni
Old 10-29-2008, 05:47 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
AaronR968
Racer

Looks great!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Beni, in the factory cars, the drivers side NACA duct is different since it routes and mates to the airbox snorkel. I have two factory hoods, one on my turbo and another as spare. Let me know if you want any dimensions or pictures.
Raj
Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
vette951s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Beni, in the factory cars, the drivers side NACA duct is different since it routes and mates to the airbox snorkel. I have two factory hoods, one on my turbo and another as spare. Let me know if you want any dimensions or pictures.
Raj
Here is a picture of the NACA duct with intake to turbo air box. There is also an intermediate part that fits between the turbo air box and hood duct - I do not have a picture of that, and I NEED one for my car!

John
Attached Images  

Last edited by vette951s; 07-19-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Out of curiosity, have you looked at how the intercooler duct would fit on a 951? I believe that dimensionally, the hood latch and intercooler pipes would be a problem, but is it close enough to fit? I've been wanting to fit one to my 951 for years.

Regards,
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 951rs
the OEM items both for the NACA ducts are not symmetrically built at all
Regardless of left/right units being different are you actually sure they should not be symmetrical ?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

I have two sets of the NACA ducts. One pair is from Speed-6 and the other from Fitzgerald Racing Services. The Speed-6 ducts are identical and came with a template for positioning them on the hood correctly. The Fitzgerald Racing Services ducts are created from molds of the original RS series and are not identical. One side is longer and connects to the airbox. Both are made from fiberglass and need to be fitted and finished for installation.

I have been shocked at how poor the fit and finish was on several of the OEM Porsche Motorsports Group body parts I purchased. Granted the front splitter was polyurethane but I still had to drill holes and spend a fair amount of time adjusting it to get it to fit right. I love it on the car but it still looks like an after thought to me. The rear spoiler is going to take a lot of hard work, filling and sanding before it is even close to being right. Plus, you have to rip the tabs off of the original spoiler or donor to make it bolt correctly to the back of the car. I was honestly expecting a LOT more for the price I paid.

I have to say that the pieces you are presenting here on the forum look quite nice. I applaud your effort to improve the product and make it better. Great Job!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flwbyu
I have been shocked at how poor the fit and finish was on several of the OEM Porsche Motorsports Group body parts I purchased. [...] The rear spoiler is going to take a lot of hard work, filling and sanding before it is even close to being right. Plus, you have to rip the tabs off of the original spoiler or donor to make it bolt correctly to the back of the car. I was honestly expecting a LOT more for the price I paid
This surprises me as I have an original 968TS rear spoiler on my 951 and it's about just as perfect as you would want it to be.

Mine was purchased and installed by the PO about 7 years ago though ... I would guess Porsche may have been remanufacturing "vintage" Motorsports parts again with a significant drop in build quality ... that sucks.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thom, I noticed the same as flwbyu. The original parts that came on my car had better fit and finish than parts that I bought many yrs later. Since these parts are built from molds, there is always issues with consistency.
Raj
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Beni,

Nice job fabricating quality pieces! I wonder whether the naca ducts would have a beneficial application on a normally aspirated 968 race car?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

They may help in cooling the engine compartment, Richard. I think that's part of the job of the naca duct on the passenger side.

I also think it was meant to complement the naca duct on the driver's side from a cosmetic perspective.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:28 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Beni,

All we need now is the front turbo inlet for the front bumper and the wind deflector for the windshield. ;-p

Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I would LOVE that windshield deflector!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
future
Banned

We will have the aero windscreen deflector finished for the 968 in 3 weeks I 'm just about to ship over our 944 version for Beni to modify and first fit to our project 968 so we'll keep everybody posted regarding the development and progress.

Our 944 version was featured in 911 & Porsche Worlds magazine back in the October issue.

Regarding the front bumper IC inlet it is actually very easy to do this yourself with the stock bumper. I will post a thread tomorrow showing you how to do this yourself as Beni did. It only took him about 2 hours to complete and makes a big visual improvement as far as I am concerned.

Regarding the NACA vents ... Yes we do have the “NACA to air box” as illustrated by John however what we wanted to do first was to make a left and right version for cars that do not have a turbo lump installed. We will mould the “Naca to air box” side shortly but I do not think there will be much demand for the OEM version.

Cheers,
Mark

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS NACA ducts and Intercooler outlet