968 cab speaker sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Neverendz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 cab speaker sizes?

Hey all,

What speaker sizes are in this thing? I don't imagine that I have any kind of hifi sound option and the car has an older alpine cassette head unit with a cd changer. Half of my speakers are blown and the remaining are sub par. So I'm going to start replaceing them.

Does anyone have any good used speakers for sale from when they upgraded?

Please let me know. And, as always, thanks!

, Bill
Old 09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced these in my wifes 94' Cabrio.

Rears are 4" X 6" plate types
Fronts are 5 1/4" mid/bass units and the tweeters are 1"

if you have the std stereo option. if you have the upgraded radio, I am not sure what the speaker sizes are.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Isinlv, what kind of head unit did you use. I need to do this upgrade soon as well.
Also, what brand speakers did you use?
TIA
Raj
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 AM
wiseman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine. S0NY Explode unit. Has a great equilizer function which you will need to get the sound right. Ran a 250 amp for the speakers with separate channells s for the doors and the rear 4X6's and a separate 150 amp for the 10" sub which I mounted in the deck. Hurts the storage cubbies, but great sound at highway speeds with the top down.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the HU we have is OK, but looks all wrong....I am trying to find a recent becker or blapunkt to match the styling but both are recently out of production....Ebay!

as for speaker brands, I got a deal on Polk Momo's and was pleasantly surprised. I would think just about any set of speakers in the $200 range for each pair/set should be decent....as for power, the car came with an alpine V12 amp and speakers (which were repalced due to age). the amp will need a "tune-up" as the left channel does cut out occationally, and replacement would be about $500 for the power and 5/4/3/2/1 channel capability.

I also added/use a JBL 8" bass tube in the trunk to augment/add bass, as neither the fronts nor rears really have the ability to produce any usable base below 100Hz.....and the amp has a built in crossover, so it works our nicely...with the bass tube just fitting in the trunk.

Quick Reply: 968 cab speaker sizes?