Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To adjust the rear bar, I'm guessing the inner holes closer to the bar itself increase the stiffness, correct?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StewHatch
I ordered a new set of front & rear M030 sway bars and all new OEM bushings earlier this year and the difference in the car's handling is astounding. You won't regret making the effort believe me.
Could Stew and others amplify on this a bit? What is the character of the change and why is it so astounding? I'm giving serious thought to this, although it's hard to justify big upgrade bucks on a 127,000+ mi. car in my current circumstances.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

PS:

I contacted Sunset Imports with Luis' list of parts above, and Jeff mentioned "You were missing the C clips and the 4 most outer bushings for the drop links.". The clips are very low in cost and I am hard-pressed not to replace them as part of the process.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Only M030's come with clips if I remember correctly. It's there as a safety mechanism in case there is a possibility of the end to pop out of the drop link, would be a very rare instance on a street car.
Raj
Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Gotcha. Thought Jeff was using a shorthand for mounting hardware.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Can someone please answer my last question regarding adjusting the rear bar? TIA
Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
OK, I just picked up the parts from the dealer yesterday and I have a few questions.

1) Front bar chassis supports. ¿Can I still use the current supports with the thicker front bar? Are the bushings just thinner than those on the 26.8mm bar?

2) I've done a few front stabilizer bar R&Rs but never replaced a rear bar. Any caveats? What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!
1) Yes, the drop links are the same, just the bushing is different. It has a bigger diameter.

2) None. Very straight forward. Give it a try, you will see it's a piece of cake.

Raj
Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM
StewHatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Etnier
Could Stew and others amplify on this a bit? What is the character of the change and why is it so astounding? I'm giving serious thought to this, although it's hard to justify big upgrade bucks on a 127,000+ mi. car in my current circumstances.
My car got the new sway bars at 165,000 miles, and the difference in the way the car sits thru a corner has to be the most significant difference IMO. I recently added four new adj Koni's and motor mounts & it's like a new car. She is much flatter around corners and it feels like I can push the car harder / faster around a corner. I noticed a big difference at autocross as well - I feel it's easier to drive at the limit. The sway bars themselves were pretty cheap - I purchased them + the bushings at Sunset. I don't want to quote price here since it was over a year ago when I purchased them, but the sway bars with bushings was less than $250 total F & R IIRC. I hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
1) Yes, the drop links are the same, just the bushing is different. It has a bigger diameter.

2) None. Very straight forward. Give it a try, you will see it's a piece of cake.

Raj
Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
To adjust the rear bar, I'm guessing the inner holes closer to the bar itself increase the stiffness, correct?
I meant my last question. I installed both bars and have been enjoying them for a fe months now. Just curious about adjusting the rear bar. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Yes, the closer to the center, the stiffer the setting.
Raj
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Yes, the closer to the center, the stiffer the setting.
Raj
Thanks, what setting is yours on? I chose the middle one, but replaced the rear shocks with adjustable new Koni yellows in the factory setting. The ride is excellent, but I'd like to play with the settings a bit, since they're fairly easy to change.

Would a stiffer setting on the rear stabilizer bar with the Konis in their default setting make the car prone to oversteer? Or should I leave the bar in the middle setting and turn the Konis up a notch in stiffness?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 AM
StewHatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my rear M030 sway bars installed using the middle mounting hole and the rear Koni's are adjusted to medium. This setting is more than ample for the street and at AX the rear end doesn't want to swing out anymore, esp. when my tire pressures are set at 40 psi (hot) and the front Koni's are turned up to full firm. The difference in the way the car handles & feels compared to last year is night and day.

Quick Reply: 968 M030 swaybars ordered, but...