968 Forum 1992-1995

968 turbo S parts catalog?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I can appreciate the desire to make a perfect replica, but there are two problems I see:

1. The factory parts are NLA and even if you get resourceful and use solutions like the 2.7 head, it still won't be a perfect replica.

2. The factory designed the 968 turbo S and RS with many restrictions in place. If race rules didn't restrict their design, the car may have turned out differently. The way I see it, the only reason to build a perfect clone is to be a collector's item or for historic/enthusiastic value. Otherwise, what boost feen did is ideal; he used the turbo S as a basis, and used current technology along with some personalized tuning to make something that looks like a clone on the surface but is much more advanced and much more suited to the needs of the owner.
Im beginning to realize this more and more.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was that easy, everyone would have one.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 287 Posts

Easy? If it was easy it wouldnt be fun.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Amen to that!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by boost feen
Here is a parts ...

8.7 to 1 compression new ARIAS pistons
these are MAHLE replica's that Tom Charelsworth speced out
Boost feen: I just noticed you are running the TC turbo pistons. How are they doing -- did they work right out of the box? Any issues with the coatings? I bought a set of 105mm from Tom several years ago, and opted not to use them. Scott Gomes talked me out of using them, and made it easy for me to use Mahle turbo pistons instead. He was worried (by sight) at valve clearance, and was not a fan of Arias generally. I've seen several people use these pistons with success on the 2.5 motors, but am very curious how they are doing in a 3 liter. And, if you need a spare set of 105's for that next rebuild, just let me know...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I have about 2000 miles on my engine and it pulls like a bat out of hell with no problems to date! I do not think that any problems would ever arise from what this car is used for! However if I was running this car on the track it would have a smaller turbo to make power sooner and would be set up entirely different to conserve the car for longevity reasonS. ITS ABOUT THE WHOLE PACKAGE WORKING TOGETHER, A HARMONIOUS DESIGN THAT FOLLOWS FUNCTION!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boost feen
Well I have about 2000 miles on my engine and it pulls like a bat out of hell with no problems to date! I do not think that any problems would ever arise from what this car is used for! However if I was running this car on the track it would have a smaller turbo to make power sooner and would be set up entirely different to conserve the car for longevity reasonS. ITS ABOUT THE WHOLE PACKAGE WORKING TOGETHER, A HARMONIOUS DESIGN THAT FOLLOWS FUNCTION!

That's great news. Glad it is running well. Maybe I'll feel ok about selling them on ebay after all. I see you are in N. Cal. I'm down toward San Jose. We'll have to compare motors at a gtg at some point. Mine's working pretty harmoniously these days...
Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Any issues with the coatings? I bought a set of 105mm from Tom several years ago, and opted not to use them."

Thom,
I thought the pistons were supposed to be 104.5mm... I have the Mahle turbo pistons, and they are 104.5mm's I'm pretty sure.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason Judd
"Any issues with the coatings? I bought a set of 105mm from Tom several years ago, and opted not to use them."

Thom,
I thought the pistons were supposed to be 104.5mm... I have the Mahle turbo pistons, and they are 104.5mm's I'm pretty sure.
Yes, the stock bore is 104mm, and Andial sold both a 104mm and a "one over" at 104.5mm. I had a block that was scored too deeply for 104.5, so I had Tom C make a set at 105mm for me. I subsequently found a block that could be used at 104.5, and happened to have a set of Mahle 104.5's, so that's what I used in my motor. As a result, I have the 105mm Tom C pistons sitting in a box unused...
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have heard of at least a half dozen or so people in the last 8 years that had major catastrofic problems with there brand new engine weather it be 100 MM 100.5 MM or the 104 MM 104.5 MM anyway whatever your size engine the most important thing to remember is that the PISTONS MUST BE SETUP TO RUN IN YOUR BORES! You see all the complaining in the world will not get your money back that you lost when your motor self destructed! Now all of these unhappy people have 1 thing in common!!!!!!

They tried to have one shop do the machine work, another supplier get them there pistons, another shop source parts for there build and either one of these people putting it together or they themselves put it together. Once the dust cleared from this tangled web then engine was installed in the car and fired up and tuned by yet again another person!

THIS WILL ALMOST ALWAYS SPELL DISASTER BECAUSE IF SAID OWNER WAS KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH TO BEGIN WITH HE WOULD HAVE DONE ALMOST EVERYTHING HIMSELF!

Nikasil blocks or pistons do not mix with Alumasil blocks or pistons, there are several different types of aluminum used in the manufacturing of the common pistons most of us are running from the hand full of companies out there. Finally there are several coating types that companies are using which may or may not work in between your piston metal and your cylinder bore type. Heat rate and clearance issues are the #1 concern in this topic as this is what creates disaster, so do your homework guys there are 100's of great engines built here that work like a charm.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
flipo
Racer

I was planning on making that very mistake (buy pistons ,get block machined,build it myself and then let somebody tune it ...) .
But a phonecall and a estimate later ,made me realise that this is not the way to go .the local shop that is going to build my engine has done several turbo conversions and even offers a (limited) warranty on the race engines that he builds!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, be smart. Have it all done at the same place. It will avoid finger-pointing in case things don't go well. You want a single point for any issues.
Raj
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Raj wrote:
"It will avoid finger-pointing in case things don't go well. You want a single point for any issues."

That's fine, so long as the builder stands behind his/her work after they have your money...And they really use the parts they say they are using. It's hard to double check internal components once they have been installed.

Unfortunate situations have happened!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an excellent read! Nice information guys.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
BerndCF
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Jason:

I'd appreciate that. My brother-in-law speaks German and would be able to translate for me.
Has this been done? If not: I got that list too (27 pages, if I remember right) and would be able to send you a copy or maybe a scan.

Quick Reply: 968 turbo S parts catalog?