Gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Gas fumes

I've been smelling a faint odor of gasoline inside my 968 the past few days...checked under the hood, nothing. Checked under the Fuel Pump cover and it was fine. Then checked the white squard fiberglass patch under the deck carpet, the one that that has the round rubber seal under it overe the area where the gas gage sender is located....and some hoses...and...voila'...faint gas smell. Hoses all looked fine, no cracks, reasonably tight but I tweaked them a bit any way. I think the rubber cover seal was loose and letting some faint gas smell into the cabin. I'm not sure what else to check since I've looked at all the easy places. I'm hoping that the loose rubber seal was the entry point for a normal ??? smell,

Anyone experienced this? Maybe tightening the hose clamps fixed it. It wasn't much...very faint smell.

H2
Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experienced two faint gas smells. One is as you described -- except I'd say it's more noticeable after a fill-up. I haven't located the exact cause however. The other is scarier -- leaky fuel line in the engine compartment. Definitely check that, since consequences can be catastrophic.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In a coupe that would be one of the 1st places to check for fumes. The Cab will somewhat protect you from this smell.
If the fuel tank has ever been dropped, its very easy to kink the lines up. To fix a leak in that area, I had to drop the tank, which meant the trans had to be out as well.
Raj
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Since there have been many 928 fires caused by leaking gas hoses around the engine, I've replaced all fuel hoses on my 968. After 12 years or so they start getting brittle. I'm not sure if al lthe fuel hoses are still available or not.

I've heard of a rubber piece near the gas fill hole that sometimes gets cracked and leaks fuel if you fill it to the top.

I just tightened everything up and put the round rubber peice back on tight and will see if that takes care of the fumes. They really are faint and I've only smelled them on really hot days...and my gas tank as about full.

H2
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a leak under the fiberglass cover once where you found it. One of the hoses cracked and woudl pool fuel on top of the tank there. Had to replace the line, it is doable, just not fun.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
z851@yahoo.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a gas odor also. After dropping the tranny and the tank, it was just the large (~4") threaded cap that holds the sending unit in place.

Quick Reply: Gas fumes