968 Forum 1992-1995

Looking at a 968 in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
wolf76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 968 in Ohio

Hello everyone. I have been looking at a few 968's and came across one in Powell Ohio. It is listed on cars.com. It is being sold by a dealer for $11,500. It is a 6 speed coupe (exactly what I'm looking for). I spoke to the salesman today and he has receipts for most major work including timing belt and water pump. I asked about the pinion gear and it hasn't been replaced. The clutch and flywheel have been replaced with a lightened version. He said that when the clutch is not engaged the car makes a noise that might be startling but that it's normal for the application. He said that the noise/vibration stops when the clutch is engaged. Is this correct or should I run in the other direction.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-04-2008, 03:46 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I know using lightweight flywheels causes vibrations but I'm not so sure about noises. If there are noises when the clutch pedal is down, it's probably the pilot bearing. I don't know if thrust bearings make noise but that could be bad too?

If the noise is when the pedal is up, it's probably the release bearing, maybe the torque tube. If the noise goes away even if you just barely push the pedal, then it is the release bearing.

Again it could be nothing, maybe light flywheels just make noise... Someone who has one will (hopefully) chime in.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a 6 speed coupe (exactly what I'm looking for).
Not at all rare, though. This has to be far and away the most common configuration built. Most buyers are concentrating on a color combination, must-have LSD, etc. To the extent 968s are available, you have a wide choice to look forward to in that configuration
Old 07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The sounds I have heard from lightweight flywheels do not quite fit that description. They typically make some level of rattling noise when coming off throttle under load at lower RPM (>3500 or so). Not just when the clutch is not engaged.

As to availability of 6 speed coupes - it is unfortunately a buyer's market these days. You do not mention the mileage or whether you like the color.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1994 car youre looking at in the cars.com listing does not have 993 style seats.
Can someone explain if any 1994 968 cars came with the late model 944 seats ?

Chris - see if you can get a listing of the 3 digit option codes which are listed in the maintenance manual or under the carpeting on the rear end near the taillights from the seller. Search for Porsche option decoder and you'll know exactly what options the car came with from the factory.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:29 PM
wolf76
Instructor

Hello again. Thank you for all the input. The car has roughly 82,000 miles.I don't really have a preference regarding the color as long as it's been well cared for. If there is anyone in the area that wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me I would really appreciate it. In the meantime I will check on the option codes.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 PM
wolf76
Instructor

P.S. The color of the car is Amazon Green with cashmere interior which I think looks really good. If the car does have any of the above mentioned issues (release bearing,pilot bearing) how much do they cost to fix?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The seat change to the 993 design took place at some point in the 94 production cycle.

Amazon/Cashmere is a great combination - though I may be biased.

Pinion bearing alone is usually at least a $2k repair. To be honest, no matter what 968 you buy you can budget spending at least that amount in general repairs and upgrades in the first year of ownership - and that just goes up if you need tires, clutch, etc... Porsche ownership is never cheap. That rule applies equally to $13,000 968s and $100,000 911 turbos. Reality. For this reason it is always a good idea to buy the best car you can find and have a thorough pre-purchase inpsection by a mechanic familiar with the 968. This can be tricky with distance. But you will find that Rennlist and 968Forums members will usually have some ideas - and sometimes answers - to these challenges.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 AM
wolf76
Instructor

RPM's-As a former 356 owner I definitely hear what you're saying. But then again what other car maker can compare to what Porsche delivers in the "smiles per hour" department.

Chris
Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just came back from a ride with my buddy with an rx-7 twin turbo. His car cost about the same as mine, and has about 315hp. I had him in the turns. And reliability, utility, longevity, etc.

To change the release bearing, a clutch job is required. I think shop time is like 5 hrs or something. To change the pilot bearing, it's a clutch job plus the flywheel has to come out, which adds another... 10 minutes? If you're mechanically inclined, a clutch job on a 968 is not hard and a pilot bearing is like $5.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 968 in Ohio