Where is my Roof Antenna Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Where is my Roof Antenna Wire?

Hi all,

Getting really crappy radio reception. Noticed (driving down the highway) one night that a cable was hanging from the top of the passenger side quarter window. It looks like a coaxial cable for cable tv. Is this my roof antenna lead wire that is somehow disconnected? The part that is hanging routes forward through the sill to the radio. I can't find the end of the part that comes from the antenna.

Where is it supposed to route? How the f*** do I get to it? I've got half of the interior apart and I still can't find the other connector off of the antenna itself.

BTW, am I the only one that has experienced the complete lack of knowledge regarding the speaker sizes in the car from stereo shops? I was told 4" front and 4x6" rears. So far I've found out that I have 5.25" and 2.5" plus tweets in the doors and now (that I have taken the interior apart) I have found 6.5" and a tweet in the rear locations.

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mac, did you remove the rear header panel behind the sunroof and pulled the trim to expose that area?That is where the cable connects to the antenna. It then routes its way through the door sill into the center console.
Raj
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also check your antenna booster under the dash.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

The coax cable in the quarter window might be for a cell phone. Have you had the radio out or has it been replaced somewhere along the way? if so, it may be that the power wire for the booster was simply not re-connected.

I had the factory 10-speaker hi-fi setup in mine originally, sounds like you have the same (option 490). The rear speakers have amplifiers built in. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they get a speaker level input from the radio amps (not a line-level). The door speakers use a small amp under the passenger seat. This gets a line-level signal from the radio.

I've just finished up replacing the entire stereo in mine. In the doors, I just used a 5.25" two-way component; put the tweeter up high and abandoned the 2.5" mid-range. In back, I'm on itteration 2; I had a 6.5" two-way component set in there, but wasn't happy with the bass, so I fitted some 7" subwoofers, powered by thier own amp, and left the tweeters from the component set for presence. I had to cut and shape a bit of metal to get the 7" in, but it wasn't too bad.

In any case, I'd be glad to give you a hand with whatever you want to do. I'll be out of town from tomorrow morning untill next Thursday night, but we can get together after that.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Raj-yes, I've stripped the header/and the entire rear pass. side interior paneling. I still can't figure out where it's going when it reaches the qtr panel.

Maybe it is an old cell phone antenna wire?

I actually have two antenna's in the car, on the roof and since I have a 944 windshield, there's one in the the glass that's clearly not hooked up. Should I try to hook that one up instead I wonder?

Where exactly is the antenna booster in the dash? There are a lot of things down there and I'd hate to go messing with the wrong one.

John- much appreciate the help with the stereo options. I'm thinking when I replaced the head unit, I've bypassed the amps all together.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:30 AM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default do not use windshield antenna

The roof antenna works much better. Best I recall, the antenna booster is on the passenger side beneath the glove box. It might even be in the kick panel on that side but I can't recall.

Quick Reply: Where is my Roof Antenna Wire?