Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Cam Tensioner Maintenance - Additional work I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Tensioner Maintenance - Additional work I can do?

Hello Rennlist,

Had a question for the community regarding what other maintenance is possible while I am doing the Cam Tensioner and Chain Replacement. Whilst I am under the hood, I plan on doing the first oil change too, but, as always, my mind began to wander as to what else I could do............$$$$$

Things I would like to do:

1) Front engine seal - I have a slight oil leak and my mechanic said it was most likely the front engine seal. He suggested to do it when I change the belts, but those were done 9K ago so I figured this may be a good opportunity since they are coming off for the cam job.

2) Throttle body inspection? I have heard a number of people say that the butterfly movement can be limited with time, and you should inspect to ensure full open throttle when the pedal is depressed...

3) Spark Plugs and Wires? Time to replace/upgrade? Is there really any benefit?

4) Injector cleaning? I know there are some additives that clean the injectors to an extent, but didn't know if this was a time to inspect them to see if they need further cleaning... also, any suggestions on injector cleaner additives?

5) Valve Cover clean / paint - There has been a lot of talk recently about re-finishing the valve cover, and that obviously made me green with envy... I would like to limit myself to just cleaning it, any suggestions on cleaner while it is off? I would like to send it out to get re-finished / painted, but I only have a limited amount of garage time...

6) Anything else the all-mighty Rennlist can think of?

As always, I appreciate the feedback, no matter how critical it is!

Cheers

GD
Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gentleman Driver
5) Valve Cover clean / paint - There has been a lot of talk recently about re-finishing the valve cover, and that obviously made me green with envy... I would like to limit myself to just cleaning it, any suggestions on cleaner while it is off? I would like to send it out to get re-finished / painted, but I only have a limited amount of garage time...
Be very conservative with whatever cleaning agent you use. The valve covers are magnesium and if you get too aggressive with the coating it will end up peeling off. Personally, I would pull the cover and have it powder coated or just give it a gentle clean with a mild degreaser.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

GD, if you really need to, do all front engine seals. You can actually do the chain and tensioner pads without removing the balance shaft belt but if you really do plan to remove both belts, removing the rear belt cover is not that hard.
You need to remove both bs psrockets to get to the belt covers. Once the sprockets are off, you should do both upper and lower bs front seals and engine seal, if they are leaking.
Sometimes, we are better off leaving well enough alone. You can do all this over 1 weekend.
I have always found that getting the injectors serviced is a great way to pick up some lost power. Turn around can be quick and they provide you graphs of before and after. New plugs/wires, dist cap and rotor are also easy to do and will be removed anyway.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM
rdhayward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially the part about painting the valve cover. No gain in performance, but does loads for the vanity!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try using a tooth brush and simple green for cleaning the cam cover.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default INJECTOR SERVICING

Raj,

Who do you send your injectors off to for cleaning and inspection? What can I expect in cost and turnaround>

Thanks.

Ernie
Old 04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ernie, in the past I have always used Marren Injection in CT (www.injector.com). Turn around is very quick. From when they recieve your old injectors, they take 1-2 business days.
Raj

Quick Reply: Cam Tensioner Maintenance - Additional work I can do?