Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Brake Pad Sensors and damper plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Sensors and damper plates?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the damper plates must be used in the rear calipers with organic pads and if the pad sensors must be replaced? Can the pad sensors be defeated by closing the circuit? I'm thinking I won't miss them.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macadamianut
Hi,

Does anyone know if the damper plates must be used in the rear calipers with organic pads and if the pad sensors must be replaced? Can the pad sensors be defeated by closing the circuit? I'm thinking I won't miss them.

Thanks,
The brake pad sensors are definately not mandatory. Simplest way to defeat it is to pull the bulb out of the dash. Another viable way is to just connect to the two pins on the sensor cable together (i.e. close the circuit).

The damper plates (or "anti-squeal" plates) are also never mandatory. Worst case, you'll get brake squeal. Depending on the pad, you may not anyways. If the squeal is bad enough (or even present at all), you could alway re-install them after the fact.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT PULL THE LIGHT BULB.
Pad sensors are cheap. Replace them.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. Don't pull out the bulb. You can reuse your old ones if you take them out carefully. I think I even cracked mine but got them to stay in anyway. I don't need a sensor to tell me my pads are low, and, if you can change your own pads, you probably don't either.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Easiest way is to just short circuit them by crimping the two pins. I would never remove a bulb to "fix" a problem. If you work on your car often, you will be on top of pad wear.
Its always nice to have anti-squeal pads but they are not neccessary.
Raj
Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pad sensors are only $16, just replace them and keep everything functioning as it should.
Your breaking system is not a place to save a couple bucks.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Thanks guys, I'll close the circuit and try the pads without the damper plates first and see if they squeal.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
rdhayward
Racer

I declare, I don't mind the brake pad wear sensors so much, but I've never been a fan of ABS. I'm considering disabling that!

And I wanted to note that I, too, forewent the anti-squeal pads. Guess what? My brakes squeal. And like oil leaks - hate 'em! - I'm ashamed of my brake work on this car because of the squeal. I also pulled the no-no of shaving the pads to fit, so I know I have to re-do the brake job in the near future, probably when I get a set of calipers to properly rebuild and refinish.

Also, these Mintex brake pads are major-league dusters. These babies might have to go out with the bathwater!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

At the track, most folks just plug in the sensors but tie them off to something nearby instead of installing them into the pad. The sensors last forever and you are free to put them back into pads at any time you choose.

Just check the pads or you will drive home from the track one day with the rivets of the pad backing plate glowing white hot each time you stop to pay a toll. I still have a cinder of a backing plate remnant nailed to the garage wall with a sign above it that says "don't do this"
Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the anti-squeel plates are a must...tried running without them and 100 miles later had them on there because I couldn't stand the noise....my fronts still squeel even with the dampers...but that's because the pads weren't broken in with those rotors...another thing to work on...

Steve
Old 04-22-2008, 05:54 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Just a quick update,

Replaced rear rotors, managed to free up the frozen pistons in the rear calipers, installed new pbr pads (no damper plates,) managed to reinstall whats left of the pad sensors.

All good so far. No squeal, no warning lights so far. Brakes working as they should. Now onto correct the airbag warning light.

Thanks all
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mac, how do you like or hate your PBR's? I absolutely hated them and just swapped back to stock. I didn't like the fact at how little feedback they gave compared to stock. Also, they didn't work as well as stock pads when cold.
I am much happier with stock pads.
Raj
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Raj,

I really haven't had much chance to put miles on them. They are not bedded in yet, so I'll have to report back later. On the off chance that they start squealing after they do bed in, I have ordered the damper plates to put on. I don't have much to compare to, as when I bought the car 2500 miles ago it had pagids with only the outer caliper pistons actually working in the rear. I can say that the pagids that were on the car made huge amounts of dust.

Also strange was during the initial bedding process, I got the ABS to kick-in. Kick-in is a good way to put it as the system comes alive with a violent shudder. Way different than the ABS in my Saab.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Sensors and damper plates?