968 Forum 1992-1995

Sound of Rushing Water?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:59 AM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Default Sound of Rushing Water?

Good morning Rennlist,

I have noticed a sound of rushing water when I start my car up. It comes from the passenger side in front of the dash. It also occurs when I begin to accelerate from a stop...
My mechanic said it may be air in the coolant, but I don't know so I want to pose the question to you.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

It is air in the coolant. In particular, its your heater core. Its located in the middle of the dash, behind the center console.
Its a pain to get to but unless you see coolant on the passenger side flr, I wouldn't worry about any leaks. You should bleed the system and the sound should go away.
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-27-2008 | 12:11 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I had this problem in my 951 and kept bleeding the coolant over and over again, but it would never cure the rushing water sound that you describe. One day I was messing around with my battery and realized whenever it was tilted from one side to the other you could hear the fluids inside rushing around which explained why I heard the sound right in front of the dash.
Old 03-27-2008 | 01:35 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It is air in the coolant. In particular, its your heater core. Its located in the middle of the dash, behind the center console.
Its a pain to get to but unless you see coolant on the passenger side flr, I wouldn't worry about any leaks. You should bleed the system and the sound should go away.
Regards.
Raj
Very good news, thanks Raj!

Next question, as a noob, how do I bleed the coolant system???
Old 03-27-2008 | 02:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Turn the car on, let it get to operating temps. Turn the temp control to full heat and fan to full and open the bleeder bolt on top of the coolant neck pipe on the head.
Sometimes, it might take a couple of tries to get all the air out.
Its a 12mm bolt, one of the only few in the car.
If you can't locate the bleeder bolt, I can post some pictures later.
Raj

Quick Reply: Sound of Rushing Water?