Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Bodywork & paint progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 01:32 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdhayward
notthd, and anyone else who wants a good tip on choosing a body shop to paint your baby:

A fundamental question to ask a body/paint man is what part of the job he likes best. If he says the body shaping is his favorite, that's probably an okay guy to give collision work. If he says the wet-sanding his is favorite, that's the guy you want painting your Porsche. It's all about the finish work between layers, which means wet-sanding at every stage, and getting a feel of every contour and surface before going onto the next.

The 2nd and 3rd photos in the above "Days 6-10" post show the car in primar and sealer, respectively. It's very rare that you see someone wet-sand sealer, but my guy did.

The first photo above in the "Day 11-15" post was taken over 20' away, and you can stil see my reflection. That was before we wet-sanded and repainted.

That way you're not relying on the clearcoat to make up for any previous glitches. These photos I've posted don't really convey how smooth this car's surface is now. It's very mirror-like and slick and wonderful to look at on this car's sexy curves.

TOTALLY AGREE - We and I say we because I was such a pain in the *** that the owner agreed to have me "help". He felt any hours I spent helping would save him in the end.. We wet sanded the base color FIVE times to get the years of imperfections out. What A bitch. we wet sanded the clear also but the end result is a mirror.. I am so happy for you it did not take as much. KUDOS to your body guy... If you have a chance - want to come by and mount my handles... LOL -- Keep up the good work! Mike
Old 02-10-2008 | 11:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Nice job there and thanks for sharing it with us. I am sure it will look awesome!!

And BTW I'm a big fan of F1, too.
Oh nice! I can't wait for the season t begin. We (me and two other 968 owners) are going to see the Montreal GP this summer. You are welcome to join us.
Raj
Old 02-10-2008 | 01:59 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Dude, I would love to go to that! Fact is, I was a huge fan of Gilles Villeneuve back in his day, and Jacques has been my favorite driver in recent times even though I'm still a fan of the Ferrari F1 team. You think if there are enough of us wearing Ferrari paraphernalia, we won't be poo-poohed by other Porsche owners? WTF, I'm willing to risk it!

Too bad there's no USGP this year.
Old 02-10-2008 | 03:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Well, I am a big Alonso fan. I bought all the Renault stuff and then last yr spent close to $300 on McLaren stuff and now we are back to Renault .
I have a feeling he will end up with Ferrari. I was never big on Ferrari but since last yrs espionage case, I have taken a liking to them.
Let me know if you want to hook up or if you would like to buy tickets with us. I plan to buy them shortly.
Raj
Old 02-12-2008 | 08:32 AM
rdhayward
Racer

Yesterday, I got the bad news. The guy who owns the business wants me to pay $6250 for the car. There was no written estimate or offer of a written estimate (as required by Ohio law), just a discussion whereby I stated I expected to spend $4-5k on the car total.

To date, I've purchased about $3700 out of pocket for parts, another $1600 in expenses for staying at a hotel, driving around for parts, buying heating fuel for the shop, and feeding his employees (pizza, etc.). And I have 96 hours of my own labor in it.

I spoke with a local deputy sheriff about it, as well as my attorney, and I'm going to have to pay to get the car out of the shop's possession and sue afterward (for deceptive business practices under Ohio Adm.L. 109:4-1-13, which is similar to other state's statutes).

Oh, the fun I'm having with this car! Mother would've been so proud...
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

OMG, what a nightmare. I hope things work out for you.
Raj
Old 02-12-2008 | 01:19 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

I booked my tickets for the Montreal GP last year. I will be sitting at the The Biridge chicane.
Staying down town in Sherbrooke on Rue Peel.
Old 02-12-2008 | 03:27 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

The car and the color look great. I love Cobalt Blue on any Porsche!
Old 02-12-2008 | 03:34 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Yesterday, I got the bad news. The guy who owns the business wants me to pay $6250 for the car. There was no written estimate or offer of a written estimate (as required by Ohio law), just a discussion whereby I stated I expected to spend $4-5k on the car total.

To date, I've purchased about $3700 out of pocket for parts, another $1600 in expenses for staying at a hotel, driving around for parts, buying heating fuel for the shop, and feeding his employees (pizza, etc.). And I have 96 hours of my own labor in it.

I spoke with a local deputy sheriff about it, as well as my attorney, and I'm going to have to pay to get the car out of the shop's possession and sue afterward (for deceptive business practices under Ohio Adm.L. 109:4-1-13, which is similar to other state's statutes).

Oh, the fun I'm having with this car! Mother would've been so proud...
I would never do anything without the price stated for work to be completed.

Did he give you an itemized receipt to justify his price?

I hope you can amicably work this out.
Old 02-12-2008 | 05:21 PM
rdhayward
Racer

My fundamental mistake was thinking that, because I'm personally involved in the work and paying for parts, I'm acting as my own general contractor and these folks are working for me to include a close friend (the paint/body man) of 15 years. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:40 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Wink

I hope you get your car back without too much disappointment. That's such a bummer after all your hard work. Don't lose hope.

Smokiemon944 - if you're staying downtown Montreal, you have order a smoked meat at Moe's on de la Montagne Street across from the Bell Center where the Montreal Canadiens play. I'd also recommend Wanda's on Stanley Street. They serve a lunch there too, but that's not the prime attraction.
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:50 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

I have been to Moe's. It was pretty good.
I booked my tickets when I was there last year building a flight simulator at CAE in Montreal. I was there 4 times in 2 years. It really sucks this time of year. I was there last Feb. I have never been remotely that cold in my whole life.
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:59 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Yeah, it is pretty frigid up there in the winter. I was born, raised, and grew up in Montreal, and I suppose that I just got used to it.
Old 02-17-2008 | 10:18 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

My fundamental mistake was thinking that, because I'm personally involved in the work and paying for parts, I'm acting as my own general contractor and these folks are working for me to include a close friend (the paint/body man) of 15 years. I'll keep y'all posted.

Man I feel for you.. I was lucky enough to have a written agreement. We did all the dissassembly at my shop and body prep at home and delivered the car in pieces... 6-7K was my original estimate if the shop did everything so I'm not surprised. I am suprised they are charging you as if you were not involved.... good luck! I hope you can get it settled.-- At least the car looks great.

Regards, Mike
Old 02-18-2008 | 07:50 AM
rdhayward
Racer

Saturday was another chapter in the saga. I arrived at the shop in tiny Edgerton, Ohio, with a cashier's check for $6250, just so I could get the car out of their possession, and the ********** charged me an additional $450 for tax. So the total bill was a tad over $6700. The invoice I received was nonsense, including an indescript $4800 for labor. I didn't argue; as I stated, my mission was to get the car out of their possession.

I had trouble getting license tags for a trailer Friday, so when Saturday came I just rented a U-Haul. After taking a bunch of photos of shoddy reassembly workmanship, I parked my Jeep & trailer a block away and drove the 968 off the lot and onto the trailer. Not until I got the car on the trailer did I realize the shop had failed to re-install the belly pans. The shop owner came over to offer help, and I just started screaming at him that I was going to sue and to get away from me.

I hate to admit it, guys, but once on the road I actually started crying briefly, this has been such a stressful week over this car. My plan was to take it to my sister's house near Ann Arbor, MI, and install a stereo and start driving it.

After about 30 miles of driving I pulled into a Wendy's in Swanton, Ohio, and noticed that the gaskets for the front bumper covers, side-claddings, and rear bumper cover were all loose. The side-cladding on the passenger side was itself coming loose. There was significant overspray on 3 of my brand new rotors (the fourth was actually installed after the car was painted).

So I changed my heading, back to Columbus, Ohio, to take the car directly to Midwest Auto Group (MAG) in Dublin, a Porsche dealership that previously did work on the car for my mother (also because they're the only business name that shows up on a Car-Fax report). Once there, I noticed a small spring and nut were left on the trailer: the car's passenger-side parking brake cable was loose (the shop had installed new parking brake shoes). Also, the lights are all goofy; the headlights wouldn't retract after turning them on; the passenger-side door mirror didn't work; more than one scuffmark in the paint from inattentive buffing; and of course I had no parking brake.

My intention is to have MAG fix everything mechanical, including new timing belts, and for them to subcontract an approved body shop to fix the loose body gaskets and moldings and otherwise correct anything that needs to be corrected. Whatever it costs me to have things re-done will be added to the "actual damages" in the lawsuit. Ohio law specifically provides for treble (triple) actual damages in this situation, so I have confidence in getting all of my money back even though the lawsuit will take some time to complete.

The thing is, I'm back in Ohio specifically to get ready to go law school in the fall. Now I'm out 6 weeks of my time, and a significant chunk of change that was intended to get me settled here. I'm near-broke and living as a guest of my ex-roommate until I figure out what to do next.

I'll post photos.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Bodywork & paint progress