Hi 968 Fam!....Leaking GAS tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
FDII
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hi 968 Fam!....Leaking GAS tank issue

Hey 968 fam.
Has anyone else here had a leaking gas tank issue with their 968 Cabs? Is this normal? Is there a quick resolution? Potential remedies or cost?

I only know that when I go to fillup at station,tank is roughly half way full and I start to notice gas dripping(heavly) at bottom of tank somewhere and then it stops after tank is full. By the way this occurs on every fill-up.

Additional observation:

A.Over the past several years I have noticed when car is driven and parked, driven and parked. ..there is always that lingering smell of fuel in the cabin. A while back I was told its normal with our cars left it alone, but becoming more pronounced?

B.Car has been sitting for about a week now and there is appears to be a slight gas 'stain' in rear right end, by right tire (fuel)
Help appreciated in advance.

Thnx. SD

Last edited by FDII; 02-07-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Where is it leaking from?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you know where it is leaking from it can probably be repaired with some epoxy. I would call the particular epoxy company and confirm that their product is safe for constant contact with gas.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

SD, the fact that your gas tank is leaking should have no bearing on if its a cab or a coupe. Someone probably did something for it to be leaking.
There have been a few instances when a stereo shop has drilled into a gastank trying to install the CD changer or an MP3 player. The tank is right below the rear trunk carpet and if one isn't careful, you can easily drill right into the gas tank.
Does the tank leak all the times or only when you fill it up? I am trying to figure out how high the leak might be?
Raj
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
There have been a few instances when a stereo shop has drilled into a gastank trying to install the CD changer or an MP3 player. The tank is right below the rear trunk carpet and if one isn't careful, you can easily drill right into the gas tank.
Raj
You just can't trust a/m stereo installers can you?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
FDII
AutoX

Thanks for the initial replies so far. However, no drilling or stereo work was done recently.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would NOT drive it till the leak is fixed. It does not take much for the fumes to ignite. Consider yourself lucky it has not caught fire yet.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FDII
Thanks for the initial replies so far. However, no drilling or stereo work was done recently.
Have you been able to determine if the leak is up high or down low? Do you see fuel dripping? Does it only leak when you top it off?
In order to repair this or to swap the gas tank, you need to drop the transmission. It takes approx 1.5hrs to remove the transmission.
Raj

Quick Reply: Hi 968 Fam!....Leaking GAS tank issue