Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NLA's

So what is NLA for the 968 as of now?

I know the drive axles are.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... that's a big deal as those are something that can and will wear out.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
I know the drive axles are.
Can you elaborate on where you got this info?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

My mechanic told me.
That info could be scrambled, my memory before the accident is messed up a little.

Edit: Nvm it can't be right because Pelican still sells them. Dam memory.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

968s are NLA.

Intake valve guides are NLA. I don't know about exhaust. I do know that any WorldPAC distributor has tons of exhaust valve guides but not the intake guide. This was extremely frustrating when I was trying to do a valve job on the blue car.

No, intake and exhaust valve guides are NOT the same on the 968. The S2 uses the same valve guides for intake and exhaust, and this part turns out to be the same as the 968 exhaust guide. The 928 32v also uses this guide for all 32 valves. I guess that's why they're easier to find. The intake valve guide was made for the 968 only.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Ouch! Now that is a wear item.
Dam, yea Pelican doesn't have 'em.
But they aren't listed on the parts list either.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
968s are NLA.

Intake valve guides are NLA. I don't know about exhaust. I do know that any WorldPAC distributor has tons of exhaust valve guides but not the intake guide. This was extremely frustrating when I was trying to do a valve job on the blue car.

No, intake and exhaust valve guides are NOT the same on the 968. The S2 uses the same valve guides for intake and exhaust, and this part turns out to be the same as the 968 exhaust guide. The 928 32v also uses this guide for all 32 valves. I guess that's why they're easier to find. The intake valve guide was made for the 968 only.
Arash, I might know where to get them from. Stay posted.
Raj
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

968s are NLA.

What are supposed to do if you need the head rebuilt, just put the old used ones back in?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Windshields without an antenna for a coupe were NLA from porsche when I replaced mine last year.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Throttle cable is NLA.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Well, I know of one car where some of these parts can be found.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:09 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Windshields without an antenna for a coupe were NLA from porsche when I replaced mine last year.
Didn't all 968 coupes have antenna-less windshields? I'm scared now, because my windshield is fairly pitted and there's no way I'm laying down the big bucks for an antenna windshield.

Unless Raj knows of a place to get them, I don't know what the contingency plan is on intake valve guides. I'm sure there is a stock pile in Germany, and if you spent a morning (afternoon in Germany) calling around... sprechen Sie Deutsche?... you could get in touch with the German dealer network and find out where/what quantity the remaining guides are.

Valve guides are nothing special. They're just bored-through rifle bullets... A good machinist with the right dimensions could whip them up. I think they were made of brass or an alloy of brass. They had the color of brass.

When I did the blue car's servicing 9 months ago, I also got the head fully reworked. I called my local parts guy, no dice. Called the local dealer, no dice. Called Sunset, no dice, but they were nice enough to query the US dealer network and they found out there were only 16 units left in America - 8 in Florida and 8 in Chicago (I think it was Chicago... somewhere in the midwest). I ordered the ones from Chicago and they weren't cheap, I think $12 each.

Part of me wanted to keep them and not install them, so I could use them as templates for having a good machinist make more... but I have other projects and no time.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Part of me wanted to keep them and not install them, so I could use them as templates for having a good machinist make more... but I have other projects and no time.
Could have been a saint in the 968 world but naaaa. j/k
It sounds like a machinist could takle the intake guides and as long as you are keeping an eye on them.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Could have been a saint in the 968 world but naaaa.
I'm doing everyone a favor. Without intake valve guides, we'll all have to convert to 8v turbo heads.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless a dealer posts, it'll be hard to put together a listing of NLA parts. I know that the 928 NLA list is huge, probably 150-200 parts now? What happens is that the frequently broken parts soar in price as they start becoming in short supply. For example, The 928 square analog clocks are going for $250. The '85S NLA rear gas hose would be over a hundred if you could find one. I've been buying up certain parts just in case I ever need them. For example, I have most relays, brains, various hoses, AC controller, cruise module, etc. I even bought a spare fuel rail because I hear they break from time to time. I'm hoping the return on the investment will beat the stock exchange.

On hoses, they can be made up but some not so easily such as those with sharp bends, metal and rubber, high pressure hoses, those larger on one end than the other, and so on. It would be nice to have a list though. Every month something else seems to become unavailable.

H2

Quick Reply: NLA's