968 Forum 1992-1995

Money Shot (ENGINE PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a very similar hose is still available and that's what they will try to sell you. It is exactly the same size and shape but it is lacking a tiny check valve for releasing positive pressure. I don't know if the check valve was deemed unnecessary, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have it there, so I wanted to keep it.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a good AOS hose if you want it.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost a year bump
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another clean engine bay
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice RHD car! I compliment you on the shiny new bolts for the cam tower - I'm sure when you were buying those, you were wondering if they were really worth it and if anyone would even say anything. Oh yeah, the powder coating looks nice too .

Here's the current state of my '95. I just finished rebuilding the engine. The head gasket was leaking (so the head needed to come off) and the oil pan gasket was leaking (so the crossmember and oil pan needed to come off) so I just decided to go a tiny bit further and change the rod bearings and rings. So not a *complete* rebuild but pretty close. And I cleaned every single part I took off.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 AM
frogisland
Advanced

I'm afraid you have the edge on me there, i would be somewhat embarrassed by your return shot. I could however, offer a shot of the rest of the underside of my car which is gleaming white....but since this is an 'engine' thread, it would not be appropriate. (and i note you signature)

It does look good, although i do indeed think you should be getting a toothbrush out and doing those fins. Notwithstanding all of this, the proof of the pudding is in the eating....does it go as well as it looks - did you undertake any 'tweaks' as you went along. I had my head refreshed sometime ago and i did note a few more umphs in the accelerator department (another one of those seat of the pants kind of power increases)

We have a problem in the UK called Autumn, particularly Winter and Spring whereby much rain falls, the roads become very dirty, and in the Winter they compound this by throwng alot of salt and grit down also. I know, i know, some of you over that side of the pond have much worse that puts us Brits into perspective, but we keep seeing immaculate cars which i can only assume come from your sunnier States that don't have awful weather to contend with and the ensuing mess on the roads.

The bolts....on the end of a hand held drill to clean up and then re-plated with alot (c1000) other nuts, bolts, clips etc.

JP
Old 01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

I have'nt turned my attention to the motor or engine bay on the 968 but it is on my list as soon after the exterior is done. NICE pics, I was wondering if JPs motor was going to show up. I drooled over it in your photo bucket not too long ago on another post. All the motor pics (minus the non porsche one) look better than mine. Damm you guys, now I'll have too get off my my *** and do it too. I have gone through the 951 and the tow beast... you can never have too much hp when you are trying to go up a mountain at 85mph-(135kph) with the race car in tow

Cheers, Mike

Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Check out this engine bay...
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's a clean engine bay! But I suppose the only way it would get soiled is if someone coughs on it. I wonder if that engine is wet or dry.

Mike, I love the simplicity of that v8 motor. No balance shafts, no eccentric timing belt tensioner roller mumber jumber, just gerth and *****. And it is looking pretty clean.

JP, quite the opposite, I was thinking your engine looks better than mine despite my tearing it down, hand cleaning and repainting the intake, cam cover, and vanity cover (pic coming soon). I only posted the under-side photo because it was all I had, and as you pointed out the oil pan was tricky to clean. I got impatient with those fins, because toothbrush bristles wouldn't reach all the way in between them, so I just left the dirt. I told myself I would take the car to a DIY car wash afterwards and use the pressure-washer with soapy water to blast the oil pan and the other area I left uncleaned, like the frame rails.

I had the ultimate opportunity to "trick out" this engine but since this is going to become my mom's car soon, I decided to keep it completely stock. However, the new rings, fresh head job, and cleaned pistons should give much better compression and thus hopefully more power than before. The main reason I cleaned it was so dirt would not find its way INTO the engine upon reassembly, and so I can quickly spot leaks when I finally start it for the first time.

Sorry for the tangent! Back to engine pics. Here's a pic:

Last edited by FRporscheman; 01-18-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That engine bay does look like that now..
The car is a fully fledged race car , competing in endurance races over this side of the pond....
This is what it looked like in September last year... We call it shrek...
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Haha, shrek, LOL. Even more so when the headlights pop up! I see a clutch cover laying on the floor....

I can't remember - is that the car that was in that episode of Top Gear in which the hosts raced a diesel BMW for 24hrs? Or was that an orange one?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
frogisland
Advanced

Both; twin cars produced by EMC, Birmingham, UK. A good colleague of Mook's and mine races the orange one, in fact we are the support team for some of the races this year....now that's going to be a laugh. I've also raced the orange one at Silverstone - myself and the owner initally took several minutes to do a driver changeover...which we managed to get down to 20 seconds or so by race time - it was quite comical to begin with. Then their was the time the car pulled into the pits, driver door opened and out came a 4 foot jack handle! We're quite a 'professional' outfit as you can gather...now you'll understand what i mean a laugh!

JP
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Moook
Racer

Yes, Support team...
2009 is going to be good......
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Blue Turbo
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Miles, great to see you posting here again. How's your chassis swap going?

Quick Reply: Money Shot (ENGINE PICS)