968 Forum 1992-1995

My experience w/ LSD install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My experience w/ LSD install

I thought my story of LSD install would be useful for other folks in the community who are considering this upgrade. First I'd like to thank Scott Reynolds for including a factory Torsen LSD w/ the 968 that I bought from him recently. All I had to do was put it in the car.

The first 3 shops I called actually quoted 10-12 hours for labor which equates to roughly $1500. 2 of these shops didn't have the right tools to install the differential unit but were going to send it elsewhere [which means more labor] and all 3 shops wanted to pull the trans for installation.

My next step was calling my local dealer. Carlsen Porsche quoted 3 hours labor for the job which I was very excited about but somewhat concerned as well. They were clearly installing the differential w/ the transmission still in my car but other shops said that it's very difficult to get the measurements correct this way. The fact that it's a Porsche dealer settled my nerves a bit, but this estimate was so much lower than what the other 3 indepedent Porsche shops had quoted that I was slightly skeptical until they told me their 'Expert on older Porsches' was doing the work.

I made an appt and was told that I'd get my 968 back the same day. Half-way through the day, they called me and said it would actually take 2 days because both differentials were going out to get measured. I forget who they contracted to do the measurements, but this step made be feel much better about the swap since they could verify the tolerances and get the right preloads on everything.

The next day I got the car back and they appear to have done a fantastic job on the installation. This LSD is completely transparent...I don't notice it at all when driving around normally but when I floored it coming around some slow, right-hand corners it was very obvious that BOTH rear wheels are now hooking or lighting up depending on how much throttle I give it. Plus the open differential that came out of the car looks half the size of the beefy LSD that went into my 968!

In summary, if you have purchased a LSD already then don't settle for paying $1000-$1500 to an indepedent mechanic for installation. In this case the dealer was far better even though their hourly rate is more; installation cost $450 + $55 to get the parts measured. Budget 2 days for installation. They have a 2 year warranty on labor and I'm very pleased w/ the result!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty good deal -- thanks for letting us know!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tight hairpins really show it off, it was a big improvement when I put mine in. (Or I should say Raj put it in).
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Trevor, nice insite. I am contemplating on doing a pinion bearing and possibly an lsd install on my cab. Still not 100% certain I want to install an lsd in the cab. It hardly comes into play in street driving but well worth it if you go tracking. Its a winter project so I still have a few months to decide.
Raj

Quick Reply: My experience w/ LSD install