Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:56 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default maintenance costs?

Some ? re maintenance?
On a track only 968, presently only DEs, maybe racing in the future:
-What interval would you retension the timing/balance shaft belts? and when would you replace the belts/rollers/tensioners?
-My dealer quoted me $1350 labor&parts to replace the timing/balance shaft belts/rollers/tensioners, is this reasonable, what do most private garages charge?
-If the front engine seals are not leaking, would you replace them when the timing/balance shaft belts are replaced or only when they are leaking? How much labor would this add to a belt service?
-Besides the front engine seals and the oil pan seals, are there other places where the 968 engines leaks oil?
-What is the estimate to have the variocam pads and chain inspected? And if they need to be replaced?
txs
--Dave
Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-The Timing Belt has an automatic tensioner, unless you have the 944 style tensioner
-The Balance Belt is easy enough to check that it could be looked at before every race
-The $1350 seems a little high, try calling around to get some prices
-The seals add quite a bit more onto the time of the repair, because the back half of the belt cover has to come off in order the change them. They are better left for bundling together with a water pump job.
-There are plugs at the back of the balance shaft housing that tend to get loose over time and leak oil
-The vario-cam inspection can be done by you. Look at the thread about how to tell if the vario-cam is working or not. The cost of replacement depends on who you go to, and if you can work out a deal.

Where are you located? Some people might have some recommendations for shops in your area.

Last edited by 968workaholic; 09-09-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

txs
I am in Jacksonville, FL
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Since the cost alone for belts and rollers is hovering close to $450, looks like they are charging approx 9-10hrs for labor which is on the high side. This should include the retension after a 1000 miles, so make sure they have that covered. For that much time they should be able to do your front seals as well.
I would not recommend doing the waterpump on these cars unless you have over 100k miles.
Raj
Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 AM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Since the cost alone for belts and rollers is hovering close to $450, looks like they are charging approx 9-10hrs for labor which is on the high side. This should include the retension after a 1000 miles, so make sure they have that covered. For that much time they should be able to do your front seals as well.
I would not recommend doing the waterpump on these cars unless you have over 100k miles.
Raj
I wasn't saying that the water pump needs to be changed, but that it would cost less for the labor if the seals were to be changed with a water pump job. Also, seeing how this is going to be a track car, the 1000 mile retension doesn't really apply. Like I said, it is easy enough to check that it could be looked at before every event.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

From a dealership prespective, they will recommend tensioning based on Porsche's recommendation. Its up to the driver to get it retensioned based on their usage, not the dealership. Dealership recommendations are based on normal usage.
Raj

Quick Reply: maintenance costs?