Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Just bought my first 968

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Super, you bring up an interesting subject. Maybe its time to build some DIY's here. In the meantime, there is a lot of information available on clarks-garage.com which applies to our cars as well.
As far as running a no cat, straight system, it will be extremely loud and abnoxious. You might even lose some torque by such a system.
Removing the cat with a test pipe might work better than a complete straight through as far as sound but that is a personal thing.
We have a dyno day planned soon. There will be a few people with different systems. Maybe we can get some avi files for others to hear what these cars sound like at idle and WOT with different systems.
Regards.
Raj
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most frustrating thing for me as a new porsche owner (owned a 928 about 10 years ago for a brief period--never ran right) is the amount of info that is lumped together. When I'm looking for 968 specific info I don't want to sift through 20 pages of 944 turboS material.

The way I understood it Porsche made so many changes between the 944 and 968 they changed the whole designation. I don't have a 944, don't really want one. I just want a ton of 968 info so I can absorb as much as possible.

I'm loving Rennlist so far but I feel it's very biased. If you don't own a 911, Boxster or 944 turbo then you don't get any good discussion or info. Am I missing something?

I run a very successful mazda forum and we have very specific break-downs of each model and sub-model so new people can find the info they are looking for immediately. Something like this should be implemented here as well, I think. Another thing we're doing is having actual video's made instead of text how-to's. I use my digi-cam and mac dvd editing software and actually build and edit our own service dvd's for hosting on the forum. We started off with simple things like simple maintenance and basic mod's like a CAI and exhaust. I'd be willing to do this for this forum as well if there is enough interest. My 968 is bone stock and could be used for several upgrade videos.

Just food for thought.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Super, all great suggestions. Maybe we can talk to John Dunkle and see if he would be interested in hosting such information.
Raj
Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

if not I'm sure I could host it depending on the amount of traffic it would get....I can't imagine it being enough to shut me down or anything.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperMattyP
I run a very successful mazda forum and we have very specific break-downs of each model and sub-model so new people can find the info they are looking for immediately. Something like this should be implemented here as well, I think.
You are posting in the 968 specific sub-forum.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

OOOO. A video sounds fun. If we can find someone to edit it could probably be easily done. BTW my exhaust rattles also but its broken after the cat. I took it off to examine and found nothing that I could fix, but after I put it back on it stopped. No rattle. My car is so moody sometimes.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
You are posting in the 968 specific sub-forum.

maybe I wasn't clear enough. On my forum we have individual sub-sections for each sub-section. If I wanted to know about suspension/brakes/steering on a specific chassis I can go right to that section and only see threads related to that topic.

On here they are all lumped together and 90% of the time lumped together with other models.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try 968forums.com
or
http://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/phpbb/index.php

The UK forum is set up towards your liking. They have some interesting threads there as well.

Enjoy the new car.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe I wasn't clear enough. On my forum we have individual sub-sections for each sub-section. If I wanted to know about suspension/brakes/steering on a specific chassis I can go right to that section and only see threads related to that topic.

On here they are all lumped together and 90% of the time lumped together with other models.
OK now I understand, Smokiemon is correct Porsche968UK.co.uk has that setup and is a great resource. My guess is there is not enough 968 traffic here for John D to go that far but it can't hurt to ask.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Just to update the first post. I do NOT have a 968 now. After going back and forth with this seller of his 968 cab he officially shot me in the foot today.

I have spent the past two weeks planning my trip to ohio (from B'ham) to pick up this car. After I was unable to make it up last weekend he told he'd sell the car to a guy on monday who was local. On wednesday I asked if he still had the car to which he replied, Yes. I told him I'd be there at 7am saturday morning to pick it up SIGHT UNSEEN and he agreed to hold it for me until then.

Today at lunch time (12 hours before I leave to go get the car) I get a phone call saying, "Hey, save yourself the gas money I just sold the car to some guy locally. Thanks anyway." and then he hangs up.

So heres my offer to this forum.

I will give someone the $240 I had set aside for this trip if they will punch this guy in the throat.

What a jackass and I'm sure an embarrassment to the porsche community.

On a serious note though, I'm still needing a nice 968. Someone hook me up. Tim, wanna shoot me some pics of the one you have for sale? Let me know. I'm still in the market.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:04 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just to update the first post. I do NOT have a 968 now. After going back and forth with this seller of his 968 cab he officially shot me in the foot today.

I have spent the past two weeks planning my trip to ohio (from B'ham) to pick up this car. After I was unable to make it up last weekend he told he'd sell the car to a guy on monday who was local. On wednesday I asked if he still had the car to which he replied, Yes. I told him I'd be there at 7am saturday morning to pick it up SIGHT UNSEEN and he agreed to hold it for me until then.

Today at lunch time (12 hours before I leave to go get the car) I get a phone call saying, "Hey, save yourself the gas money I just sold the car to some guy locally. Thanks anyway." and then he hangs up.

So heres my offer to this forum.

I will give someone the $240 I had set aside for this trip if they will punch this guy in the throat.

What a jackass and I'm sure an embarrassment to the porsche community.

On a serious note though, I'm still needing a nice 968. Someone hook me up. Tim, wanna shoot me some pics of the one you have for sale? Let me know. I'm still in the market.
With cars this age, there aren't a lot of really great shape 968s around but they are still available if you're patient. And good ones are getting harder to find, which I think will help slow the depreciation on good cars (supply and demand). I'd suggest buying from an **** enthusiast. You'll pay more upfront but not in the long run. They baby their cars and will drop a wad of money on them as needed, and when they do sell it's often after a considerable, unrecoverable expenditure has been made.. My 968 is refreshing to own (maintenance wise) as compared to my 928s. I have one 928 that's near perfect and one that's eating me alive with unforeseen expenses (I got a bad PPI on it and didn't check it out myself before buying. My bad). I've already spent about $5K more on the S4 928 than I should have had to but it has to be done. I'm going to make it my "way upside down" daily driver. It's low mile but had been neglected in several ways. And the fixes add up quickly. I just yesterday ordered a new $800 radiator. Tomorrow I will put on a new fuel pump. New fuel hoses are next. Pod fix done, etc, etc. Tbelt and water pump and new rollers and tensioner, etc. are a given first step on all these cars. Eventually, it will slow down. But it's money I would not have had to spend if I'd been more careful and bought from a serious enthusiast. I won't make that mistake again.

My 968 is in the best condition of all my cars. Although the Audi TT is quite new, the body is already in considerably worse shape than my 968. It's still under warranty (and was in the shop today...sensor replaced...electronics are not the best in Audi TTs. Bad rating in Consumer Reports...but cool looking anyway). The 968 is the most practical all around car I own. My wife's Camry the cheapest to run but no fun at all. Almost embarassing to drive.

The 968 is a beautiful classic.

Harvey
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I like going for the imperfect car, so I can make it perfect myself with a load of fresh goodies and many fun weekends. And you get to know the car really well and trust it. You'll find the right 968, just keep an eye out.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

I've contacted a few more sellers closer to me to get a few more offer son the table. Maybe I'll turn up with a gem instead of a turd.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:49 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I like going for the imperfect car, so I can make it perfect myself with a load of fresh goodies and many fun weekends. And you get to know the car really well and trust it. You'll find the right 968, just keep an eye out.
I agree with the funfactor of fixing up a car yourself being worth a lot and "knowing" that it's going to perform as you demand and will be reliable since you did it yourself...since you know how the work was done and you had the pleasure of doing it yourself. (BTW, all PO's work is not good and can complicate matters...e.g, stripped bolts, missing bolts, wrong parts, parts that will grenade, leak, or fail soon after you buy, new glass needed, AC going out, brakes going, clutch worn, etc.) However, it's kinda like going to 'Vegas to and gambling that you'll hit the jackpot. If money makes a difference, I feel that it's almost always best to get a car that someone else sunk their life savings into than you having to do it. Most people sell their car in the first place for a reason...some are noble and some verge on dishonest or criminal reasons. That said, it's usually an easier swallow to pay $9K-$12K and "get into" a so-so or questionable 968, and then, over a period of a couple of years or so, sink another $5K-10K-$15 into it to get it where you want it. Or, pay $16-$18K upfront and get one that's had all the big stuff done or is low mile and has been kept up and is already near immaculate. There are people on this list who have cars that surely have $30K or so in their (non-turbo) cars. Coming up with$18K for a purchase is usually more difficult than coming up with $9K, even if it can be cheaper in the long run....and admittedly, even the $18K car will require regular maintenance to keep it tip-top.

However, if you're going to strip a car out and track it and you'll be replacing much of the important stuff and rebuilding the engine, and repainting, maybe it makes more sense to pay low.

Now, if I'd only followed my own advice on my last 928 purchase I'd be much happier and have $6K-$8K more in my pocket for other stuff (I hope that's where the unforeseen expenses top out) and I'd be out driving today rather than wrenching. What's frustrating for me is that it is a 41K mile car and the PPI checked out "great"...only to find out that the mechanic I inadvertantly picked in Phoenix for the PPI is a friend of the seller. I could have taken them to court actually, but it's my fault for not going and looking at the car myself....and after you pay $2K to have it trailered 1800 miles....etc. So...you can get zinged either way. However, once I get the S4 brought up to snuff, it'll be a great low mile $16K car that I'll have at least $24K invested in it. Great deal for the next guy if there ever is one (I love driving this car...you won't believe the torque and speed and comfort). It's real easy to get upside down in a Pcar (maybe all of us are unside down?...but some situations are worse than others). And ultimately, if chosen carefully, being upside in a great Pcar can be nice. That is, upside on costs, not physically....the latter would put you in the search again.

H2

Quick Reply: Just bought my first 968