Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007 | 12:31 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Default 968 Airbox

I bought a 968 airbox to test out the airbox modification on my car based on the good reviews. However, I'm going to stick with the stock filter as I just don't want to have to clean and oil a K&N filter. Plus with my luck I'll over oil the damn thing and screw up my MAF sensor.

Anyway, are the trim rings for the mod really necessary and what are they and where can I get them? IIRC someone told me they were speaker parts.
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:05 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

They are speaker parts- Dave Grieman used to sell them but not sure where to get them now. They clean up the look and possibly smooth the air flow but no big deal not to have them.
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:59 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

I have the box mod with no trim rings. Big deal if they smooth air flow, whats that equal? 1/16HP?

Run the K&N, just be light on the filter oil and only oil the far side of the filter.
Old 06-01-2007 | 04:44 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard C
I bought a 968 airbox to test out the airbox modification on my car based on the good reviews. However, I'm going to stick with the stock filter as I just don't want to have to clean and oil a K&N filter. Plus with my luck I'll over oil the damn thing and screw up my MAF sensor.

Anyway, are the trim rings for the mod really necessary and what are they and where can I get them? IIRC someone told me they were speaker parts.
The trim rings are subwoofer parts...not sure about the HP ramifications on running without them, but it evidently has an effect on the sound...more "ratty" sounding without them.

Also, if I'm interpreting all of the various discussions and testing correctly, you DON'T realize the extra performance gains unless you use the K&N...in other words, the drilling of the holes is an added bonus when running the K&N filter.

Cleaning and oiling the filter is easy...come by my office one evening or weekend and I can show you/help you if you're hesitant.

- Darryl

Last edited by Darryl92Cab; 06-01-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2007 | 11:30 AM
Richard C
Instructor

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Darryl, now I remember it was you that told me about the subwoofer parts when I was at your shop. I guess I should man-up and put in the K&N. I'll get in touch if I run into any problems.

I'll go without the trim rings as I have the plastic trim and it won't show anyway.
Old 06-02-2007 | 11:47 AM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Richard,

You do get some improvement when using the stock air filter, but only approx half as much as compared to using the K&N.

- Darryl
Old 06-02-2007 | 03:02 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Running K&N filter is not worth messing up the wires in the MAF...my opinion and that of a lot of others. But many run K&N and swear by them. I've just seen MAF wired coated with solidified oil. That has to affect performance, wouldn't you think?

H2
Old 06-02-2007 | 08:37 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Richard C
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Darryl, now I remember it was you that told me about the subwoofer parts when I was at your shop. I guess I should man-up and put in the K&N. I'll get in touch if I run into any problems.

I'll go without the trim rings as I have the plastic trim and it won't show anyway.

I have a new in box K&N filter if you want it, some how I ended up with an extra. Just don't over oil it and the MAF should stay clean. Even without the K&N I would imagine it would improve the sound.
Old 06-02-2007 | 08:43 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

You can get the subwoofer ports at Crutchfield they are the 2 inch ports
Old 06-04-2007 | 10:46 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

In the original airbox mod dyno testing done by Flash and Dave Greimann the measurable difference between the stock and K&N filter was small. I did the mod over the weekend (with great help from Paul Johnson). I kept the oem filter for now.

I felt an immediate difference, particularly in initial throttle response. No question about it. The car also sounds better. A bit more throaty on acceleration. Did I get 10 more horsepower and 6lbs or torque? Who knows - but it was easy to do and clearly made a difference. The big challenge now is to stay out of the throttle as the response and sound is so much fun. Damned gas prices.
Old 06-04-2007 | 11:21 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I just picked up my 2" hole saw. I can't wait till after work today.
Old 06-04-2007 | 11:27 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

A small file was also handy to smooth the cut edges and clean up the residue from the saw. I did not install the trim rings. As the box is hidden by the front vanity trim piece in my '93 I am not concerned about how it looks - you can't see it. As for the minute advantage of smoother air flow... well, I don't think I live in the world of that sort of distinction.

I am, however, keeping an eye on my temp gauge. All reports are that there is no problem, particularly with the vanity cover in place. But you never know.

I forgot to mention that my wife noticed the difference riding with me. That spoke volumes!
Old 06-04-2007 | 02:46 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

I have the holes with vanity cover in one and not in the other, no temperature problems with either now that I replaced the radiator in my problem child.
Old 06-04-2007 | 06:23 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
I have a new in box K&N filter if you want it, some how I ended up with an extra. Just don't over oil it and the MAF should stay clean. Even without the K&N I would imagine it would improve the sound.
SpeedBump:

I sent you a PM about the K&N filter.

I'll try both to see if there is a difference. I'll be using the seat-of-my-pants dyno.
Old 06-11-2007 | 04:30 PM
Richard C
Instructor

I put the holes in my extra air box and ran it in the car with both a new stock filter and a new K&N filter. The car definitely felt stronger with the holes but I couldn't feel a difference between the filters. The car seemed a bid louder as well. I will keep the K&N in the car for now.

Quick Reply: 968 Airbox