Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Any good pics of Concours level 968s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 03:03 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

The guy you spoke to would have been a good friend of mine. He posts here under the name Brigand and his red 1990 951 is in beautiful condition. My white 951 was the one with the clear signals and euro driving lights.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2007 | 10:39 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Err, I think it was a 90. The owner was a nice Canadian, which of course makes sense because Canadians get to buy those euro spec cars.
Eh, my turbo is from Canada as well. BTW, Canadian 968's are US spec/NA spec. Thank god or else I wouldn't have been able to register my car in US. That is what saved my bacon.
Raj
Old 05-10-2007 | 11:43 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that pic. I really liked his car. Also liked the standard 968 rear spoiler. It was my first parade and I loved how friendly everyone is.
Old 05-10-2007 | 12:10 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by H2
I've took my car to a detailer but he was afraid to do much with it because it was the first Porsche he'd ever touched. Not much more than a wax job. I wanted the microscratches to disappear. I'm tempted to buy the equipment and do it myself....after I experiment on my POS truck.

Hx2
First I'm assumming your from the Pacific NW. I have a friend that owns a detail company (MirrorWorks Detail) in the Seattle, Redmond and Portland/Vancouver area. He's worked on many Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. and can work on your car without issues. If you receive the local PCA newsletter (Spiel) you will see the company in there as a paid advertiser. His website is http://www.mirrorworksdetail.com/
If you want you can send me an email or PM.

Ignacio
Old 05-10-2007 | 05:23 PM
PNWR968
Rennlist Member

Default Reply to Soloracer

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Harvey: It's actually midnight blue - not black. It changes color depending upon where you look at it. At times it's a dark blue, then a black, then a dark purple. I really like the color and the car looked awesome in person.
I have been discussing the Turbo options with my technical advisor/mechanic. Looking like a small boost (quick spool) turbo with intercooler. No interior engine changes. Right now I'm working on seats to meet next year's PCA Driver's Ed rules. Probably won't get the turbo done untill 2008 offseason. House upgrades have been eating into my car budget this year. Oh well.
Old 05-10-2007 | 05:38 PM
PNWR968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H2
Dang!! That's a nice car!! And black too. Wow. Keeping microscratches out of paint is nearly impossible. What do you do?

Harvey
I thoroughly wet my car down to soak the dirt. I never use any more detergent than really necessary when washing, and I don't scrub hard. Detergerent and pressure just scape off the wax. Just start from the top and work your way down. Change wash water often and use a nearly full 5-gallon bucket. You need the debris to fall off your wash mitt to the bottom of the bucket away from your suds. I use a genuine wool wash mitt, but I also like the new microfiber mitts from Griots. Do the wheels, last. I don't use a hose nozzle, just let the water flow.

Started there, then claybar/Speed Shine. You'll be AMAZED how much difference this step makes! After that, Mequiars' or Griot's Polish system and a Porter Cable or Griot's small random orbital. I love this setup because it is very hard to screw anything up and cause burn damage.

My paint wasn't too bad so I started with #3 polish. But if your paint is bad (scratches or oxidation), start with a little more abrasive stuff and work your way to least abbrasive. Then a coat of Griot's Best in Show Wax or Paint Sealant.

Take your time. If you spend the time to get a nice foundation done, every time you go to clean it, you will spend less time on this stuff and more time on the little things.

I always carry a small bottle of water and Speed Shine for emergencies (bird poop, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2007 | 07:59 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ignacio,

I live in North Idaho but have a daughter near Issaquah so I get to Seattle pretty often. I may give Mirrorworks a call and see if we can work out something the next time I'm over that way. I'm really looking for someone who has it down on how to use a high speed polisher that gets the paint just hot enough to smooth over and get rid of the microscratches but not burn. Not many detailers can do that well. I've used two detailers in the area and had bad luck with both.

PNWR968, you have good tips on getting a great finish. I've got some of the items you mention on hand but haven't taken an orbital machine to my Pcars yet. I should practice on my POS truck first.

Harvey
Old 05-10-2007 | 09:37 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

I use 2 five gallon buckets-one with soap, and one with rinse water, and a grit guard. Check out www.autodetailingsolutions.com for info.

Steve

Quick Reply: Any good pics of Concours level 968s?