968 Forum 1992-1995

Cab vibration dampener put to rest

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cab vibration dampener put to rest

I was recently sent copies of a US Patent assigned to Ford, 'Method and apparatus for damping vibrations in an automotive vehicle having a convertible roof'. The abstract reads 'An convertible automotive vehicle having a unibody chassis with a single mass dampener for reducing perceptible passenger compartment vibrations is disclosed. The single mass damper is uniquely tuned to the overall vehicle frequency response and is suspended between a rail adjacent to a front suspension assembly and a bumper mounted to the rail with an energy absorbing device.' It further states that 'the invention provides a single mass damper capable of significantly reducing torsional vehicle vibration of the unibody chassis have a convertible roof.'

While our cars have it mounted in near the rear rather than the front, this perfectly describes what Porsche put into our cars.

The file is too big for me to attach here, but I'll have copies with me tomorrow at the Swap Meet if anyone is interested.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome!!
Can't wait to read it. Its been a no brainer for most of us all this time anyway.
Raj

Quick Reply: Cab vibration dampener put to rest