968 Forum 1992-1995

A/C Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Fittings

I am finally driving my car more often so I decided to do something about the poorly performing A/C. I can see some bubbles through the window on the receiver drier so I assume I am low on refrigerant.

My 1992 car was converted to R134A four years ago so I bought a home kit to add some freon. This kit has a gauge so I can measure the amount in the system.

Of course the low pressure fitting is at the back of the compressor and very difficult to reach. It is so tight in there that I cannot fit the large fitting from the kit onto it.

Has anyone done this with success somehow?

And, are there smaller fittings available somewhere?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Richard C; 04-24-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll need to look at mine when I get home as I don't remember having any problems when I added some last summer.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Am I right that the low pressure valve is behind the compressor, so you have to put your hand down in front of the intake manifold to get to it?

I see the high pressure valve with the red cap that is on top of the receiver dryer. Now that one is easy to reach. I'm wondering if the conversion from R12 meant having to make some changes to the fittings, but I don't see why.

Last edited by Richard C; 04-24-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

IIRC I got to the low pressure valve by going in under the car near the front of the drivers side wheel.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Yes, it looks like coming at it from under the car would be a bit easier than trying not to get burned by the manifold, however I don't have much confidence with running the car while up on jackstands. I guess I could buy some ramps.

Since are cars don't have much ground clearance, is there a particular ramp I should get?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Greimann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lift the car and get to it from underneath. If you watch what you are doing running on jackstands is no problem.

As an aside. Recently converted to a Griffiths compressor, after going through several rebuilt stock compressors, and am thrilled with the cooling performance.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

I found out that the low pressure fitting on my car is not for R134A but rather R12 because it was originally fitted with R12 from the factory (1992 models only).

So I believe I need an adapter to convert it to an R134A fitting.

Last edited by Richard C; 04-24-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess the line is different. It goes around the drivers fender, around the firewall and into the passenger compartment on the passenger side of the car. Its a pain to swap though.
Raj
Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's A/C?

Jason
Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Richard C
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jason Judd
What's A/C?

Jason
Oh sure, rub it in. I guess you don't need A/C when you are driving 100+ mph on the track in a 968 Turbo!

I bought a conversion fitting that gives me the R134A connection I need to add the freon but it is so tight in there that the I can't get the hose connected.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Richard C
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greimann
I lift the car and get to it from underneath. If you watch what you are doing running on jackstands is no problem.

As an aside. Recently converted to a Griffiths compressor, after going through several rebuilt stock compressors, and am thrilled with the cooling performance.
Dave:

Did you buy their Kuehl or Nippon compressor?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Greimann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Kuehl. It is a fairly technical install. You have to splice hoses and install adapters. The advantage to all this expense and effort is a brand new compressor with excellent performance. I believe the only OEM style compressors that are available now are rebuilt units.

My original compressor would not keep the car cool after running for awhile. I went through a couple of rebuilt units from different sources and both were turkeys. One leaked and the other didn't perform at idle after running for about 1/2 hour. I am convinced that AC compressor rebuilders are not fixing the fundamental problems that caused the compressor to be turned in, in the first place. Even Griffiths says they inspect the piston and bore, but don't say they actually fix them. In the worst case, compressors are rebuilt with a spray can of silver paint.

Quick Reply: A/C Fittings