Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Rumble/Throb/Squeal From Front Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM
DAKDAK
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: The front pads were installed by my trusty mechanic without vibraton dampers and/or damping plates, so no wonder they squeal. Can anybody tell me if I need to order both vibration dampers AND damping plates for my non- M 030 car? I'm going to fix this one myself. As for the rumble, I'm really starting to think road noise, I can hear the rumble sometimes without even touching the brakes. I'm just now breaking in a new set of Continentals after many years on Dunlops, so maybe thats it. Lastly, the throb that seemed like an out of round rotor was actually being caused by small deposits of brake dust/grease/grime between the rotor and the wheel hub. After I cleaned both surfaces with steel wool, the throb went away. I guess the deposits were causing the rotor to sit crooked.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There are only dampers. There shouldn't be any plates to change.
Raj
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
DAKDAK
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
"Spider" dampers installed now w/ OEM pads, cut the squeal a lot, but still encounter some at low speed. Next I'm going to try LubroMoly on the retainer plates and pad backing plate edges. I know I should have done that before, but I'm a little new at this...Its going to be harder to remove the pads now that I have the dampers installed, I don't want to kink the brake line hose taking the caliper off. I'm going on the theory that my squeal is being caused by vibration between the retainer plates and pad backing edges, so LubroMoly should help.

Quick Reply: Rumble/Throb/Squeal From Front Brakes