Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Had a talk with Kelly Moss Racing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:19 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Had a talk with Kelly Moss Racing....

And they told me that when my car came in it had the really nice Club Sport seats that were color matched to the car. I'm told that the original owner insisted on switching them out for the Recaro's that are in it now and he practically gave away the old seats.

Is there a way to check to see if my car came with the Club Sport seats from the factory as an option? It would seem to me that they would be a very exclusive option that might be worth reacquiring.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess you have checked the manual and the sticker at the back?
They keep records, so Porsche will have it somewhere.My mechanic (JET951)got a pair of those cs seats cheap in a similar circumstance, lots of demand for them these days.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

they are very nice seats, i was lucky enough to get a set a few years ago from a customer with a 968 CS that wanted normal bolster seats.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I bought a set of CS seats as well that I might refinish in leather to match the interior of my car. The seats are currently color matched in white back but with blk cloth interior. It is on teh list of mods for the turbo.
I love the look of those seats.
Raj
Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I know there was a set of them in Speed Yellow - the right color for my car - for sale here but I can't find the advertisement.

Jet: How comfortable are those seats on longer trips? They look like they would hold you nice and tight.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solo,

The speed yellow pair were forsale by 'Porsche' on 968Forums and other places. He has since sold them. I have a source for brand new Porsche Speedster Recaro's which are the same as the clubsport seats. Roughly $1800/each. Your Recaro Pole Positions are the same base seats, but the Speedster has a slightly lower headrest area to fit in the speedster better. Same for the CS, RS, and Cup seats. If it was my choice, I would just paint the Recaro's you have Speed yellow, get the stitching done in yellow, and be done. $3600 for seats with a Porsche part number is a tad steep. I am a fan of RaceTech seats a lot now, much more than the Recaro's. I can drive hours upon hours on the RaceTechs.

Wes

Edit - I am unsure what seats you have as your Recaro's should look exactly like JET951's seats. The magazine article I have shows Pole Positions, but they may have changed. The Pole Positions are very comfortable, but much above a 34-36 waist will be very tight. The SPG which is the Pole Positions racing bred sibling will not hold much over a 34 waist, 30-32 is ideal.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Here is the page from the Excellence article that shows the seats currently in my car:

http://www.968.net/pressroom/images/..._199906_05.jpg

They are for a bigger person than the Clubsport seats. At 6'1" and 165 lbs I practically swim in them. I don't know what the backs are but I will look tonight. Maybe painting them yellow wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
How comfortable are those seats on longer trips? They look like they would hold you nice and tight.
I have CS seats in my 951 and I find them more comfortable than the stock seats for long trips.
The issue with stock seats IMO is the lack of lumbar support, which the CS seats address pretty well in my case as I'm 6"3.
The CS seats sit lower than the stock seats. I believe they would make an appreciable difference in a car that's got the sunroof.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Solo,

Gotcha. I could have sworn it had pole positions. The Sports that you have are pretty lacking in support. Very similar to 996 TT/GT3 stock seats. I definantly would consider upgrading...even stock sport seats would be better than those . You can fit in a small seat with your build so I would look at Pole Positions, SPG's, Sparco EVO's, or RaceTech's. They will all be top line seats, the Recaro's will look more OEM. www.on-trackperformance.com is where I purchase all my seats from.

Wes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The seats in the Speedster were upholstered differently, at least the ones I've seen.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Jet951's pix are Recaro seats as supplied to Porsche (since Recaro is Porsche's seat supplier). They do look like the "pole position" model (although as noted above, the Recaro's SPG is the stronger racing shell - they also sell an XL version, about 1 1/2" wider which is what I have in my car 968 racer).

No reason why you can't paint the backs yourself, if that's the look you desire.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
The seats in the Speedster were upholstered differently, at least the ones I've seen.
Damian,

They are upholstered differently. They are ~1" shorter from the butt to the top of the head rest. I had a picture of my former Speedster seats next to a pole position. You could barely tell a difference but there was one. They can be ordered in leather, cloth, and then of course be done in any way shape or form aftermarket. The Pole Positions for the CS are the same as the Speedster, 964RS, as well as some of the 993 series. They all cross reference in the part numbers. What I don't know is if the Pole Position was updated after the production of Porsche seats; thus the Speedsters would be Pole Positions circa 1990 vs. Pole Positions of today. Regardless, you will pay about double the price of the same seat to get a Porsche part number.

The SPG does have a more rigid frame and is more suited to a racing car. I haven't sat in an XL to give feedback so I didn't post it. The SPG is a little tight for me, where as the Pole Positions are nearly perfect. The RaceTechs offer much nicer padding, as do the Cobra Technology seats. Any race seat is very comfortable so long as you fit, but some better than others.

Wes
Old 01-20-2007, 12:56 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Solo,
the CS seats are great, i have driven for lengths up to 8 hours in the seat with out moving with no problems after getting out. i also track the car a lot and they are good on the track. they do not have a centre hole in the base of the seat for a harness but i just put mine over the top.
im a size 34 waist and they seem to fit quite nicely. i would definatly recommend them if you can get them. as i said i was lucky, i got them from a CS with 22,000kms so they were practically new for $600 AU for the both. its great working in the industry.
sean

Quick Reply: Had a talk with Kelly Moss Racing....