968 Forum 1992-1995

968 vs 968 Sport vs 968 CS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
G53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 vs 968 Sport vs 968 CS

Hi I currently have a 964 but am due to buy a house, blahdy blah, so i am considering buying a cheap 968 as a fun weekend car to track (which I never got to do with my 964) and join some of the organised trips through Europe. Being 6' 2" I find the 964 a bit cramped at times. I am assuming that a 968 is better in the ergonomic department?

I have done a bit of research and it would seem that the difference in the stock, sport and cs isn't as great as it might be in other models (happy to be told otherwise!) My thinking is that I would quite like to buy a cheap stock car to eventually add suspension, recaro's and perhaps strip out to run in targas over time as cash comes to hand. Being Australian I think it would be a great, cheap car to run in the Targa Tasmania. It should be a lot more forgiving to drive.

So my first question is: are the differences in the models, particularly the stock and Sport really important?

Second, could you give me a quick heads up on rebuid costs and any typical major service items such as cam belt change costs - if I end up buying a dud! rough guide in £ would be great.

Any other buying tips would be great. I am trying not to spend more than £8K so I know I can't be too picky.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general, you are correct...not a ton of differences, especially between the standard and the sport 968. In the US we only got one model, with options that resembled that of the CS. The standard model typically has full leather or close to it, power everything, options, etc...the Sport model I think came out later in production, 94 possibly to offer a cheaper alternative that essentially was an optionless 968. The ClubSport is where the car gets unique, and finding the right car can mean a lot. The club sport option in general gave you a 951 type interior with the lesser door panels, less carpeting, etc...A CS with M030, Recaros, and cage is a gem...it would be a complete keeper. I am fairly confident most if not all CS's came with M030, but many did not come with Recaro's or the cage. ClubSport is the 964 RS equivalent, Sport is just a stripped out model, and the standard model can be ordered how ever. In rarity it would go standard 968, Sport, CS, probably same for value as well as the sport models were later years.

As far as maitenence, its going to be considerably less than an equal 964...one of the reasons I opted into the 968. Typical maintaining consists of timing belt/balance shaft belt/rollers every 15-50k miles depending on how **** you are about it, costs from $250 to $1000...so about $200 euro to 1000 euro. Waterpump should be done or atleast checked every time a timing belt is done, cost at about 350 euro. Brakes are the same as your 964 unless you find an M030 optioned car, then add about 100 euro every brake job for the upgraded pieces. Clutch job should be around 600 - 1000 euro depending on who and how fast they are. Expect between 1500 and 3000 euro per year in maintaining if you choose to be on top of everything. 1500 or below euro if you just do the basics to get by.

As far as ergonomics, the 968 has quite a bit more room than the 964, but not as much as say an E36 BMW. Its still cramped in some instances, but in about every way its roomier than a 964. Unsure about helmet height...im 5'10" and fit fine with a helmet, sunroof closed.

Wes
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In Australia clubsports sell for about twice the price of standard 968, and about the same number were sold here.
Any 968 you buy will probably have tired suspension by now, so a non Cs is better value.A cs is likely to have been driven harder, but the cars are reliable.
Isnt the sport a M030 car with 'comfort', probably the best value, but the lsd is a very worthwhile option with a 968.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
I am fairly confident most if not all CS's came with M030, but many did not come with Recaro's or the cage.
That is a common misconception. CS, just like any other model had to opt for M030 and LSD. They were not standard equipment. We had a CS in US for sometime that had neither, M030 or LSD.
Regards.
Raj
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
G53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whakiewes,

thanks very much for your detailed response, really helpful! I will definitely check helmet clearance.
Was it possible to option LSD and MO30 on the standard and Sport models?

Thingo, I've seen CS's advertised at between $45 - $60K in Oz and a cabriolet at $55K. Can you please tell me the average price range of a standard and Sport? As I intend to buy one that has a few miles on the clock I would be interested to have your thoughts on a lower range for each model too.

Thanks for your responses. I hope to test drive a few examples this weekend.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:31 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea about prices. Best to check www.ebay.co.uk to get an average of what they are selling for. In the US anywhere from 9-40k will get you a 968, most between 12 and 25k. I don't know too much about the sport models, just want I read via ebay listings and such. All 968s are available with option M030 and M220 which is the sport suspension and limited slip. Its all about finding the right car for you. If you know the max you can spend, then thats one thing, but find a car that fits you without looking at the price then try to work it out. If you skip out on option X, but you get option A, etc...you will never be happy.

Wes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

G53
Sport is a UK version, in Australia we only had 968 and 968cs, in about equal numbers, but I think there is quite a few private imports around now.
Clubsports are about $50+, whereas stock 968 are in the 30's, I just bought one for $32.5, I would say $30k is the lowest you would see one for, the guy I bought mine off was lowballed for a trade in.ymmv
At this age you have to start considering maintenance issues in the price.Clubsports will have been driven harder but they are probably going to be better maintained and will hold there value better, more desirable and used a lot for competition.Never seen a cab

Last edited by thingo; 01-18-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wes, just to be clear, not 'all' 968's could be had with mo30-cabs were not available optioned that way.

Quick Reply: 968 vs 968 Sport vs 968 CS