Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Pro Glass folks BROKE my rear hatch glass....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 01:08 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Default Pro Glass folks BROKE my rear hatch glass....

<rant on>
Yes, I'm pissed - I hired a 20 yr auto glass veteran from a big company to come out and boom goes the glass!

My son was watching and here's what happened - they were cutting around the seal and were about half way done when they decided to take a soda break. While sitting there, KABOOM goes the glass!!!

And they WON'T pay for a new one! Yes, they made that clear at the start...at least they agreed not to charge me for the screw up. How nice of them

So here I sit in smelly vapor, waiting for my ....

Anyone know where I can get a NEW or USED glass?

I haven't a clue where to start, and the glass folks checked their sources and can't get one. (Or they don't want to, whatever...)

</rant off>

Old 06-08-2006 | 02:24 PM
pa944red
Rennlist Member

What were they doing in the first place?
Old 06-08-2006 | 03:12 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

I hired them to remove the glass from the frame so I could reseal it. The seal had broken up on the top part of the frame. It had been repaired once before, but came apart again.
Old 06-08-2006 | 04:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Here is a post from BruceWard in the 968forum:

Autover in Ohio has OEM Sekurit Saint Gobain coupe windshields (FW00710 GGY) in stock. Eric K contacted them and found that the windshield could be delivered to his installer in WA from OH for $340. I had the windshield in my cab replaced with a (FW00651 GGY) from Autover. Total cost including shipping and installation was < $300. The wholesale price was only $160. I found that Autover was much less expensive and faster than dealer replacements. They prefer to sell to glass installers and may refuse to sell to individuals.

Autover Corporation
2450 Spiegle Drive, Suite B
Groveport, Ohio 43125
Phone: (+1) 6144091901
Fax: (+1) 6144091906

There is more info in these Rennlist posts
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

Perhaps they can also supply rear glass in addition to windshields?

Another suggestion would be Sunset Imports:
http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php
Old 06-09-2006 | 11:59 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Called Autover no longer in stock
Old 06-09-2006 | 12:01 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Update...

First, here's a link to the pics of the whole before, during and after pics:
http://www.hoveymotorcars.com/968hatch/default.htm

One big revelation occured during this whole process. I didn't know that when you order a new glass hatch, it's the glass MOUNTED in a new frame! Now a lot of other problems make sense! The glass and frame are NOT designed to have the glass be removable. The type of sealant used and the clearances between the glass and frame make it almost impossible to remove the glass. Also the glass is not as thick as you think!

USAA still hasn't said whether or not they will pay the $7,000 (yes, that's seven thousand dollars) for a new hatch from Porsche. I'm a hoping and a praying they will. The car is worth $13K, so I think I'll be okay.

To everyone that have offered hatches, help, etc, thanks a bunch! Once again I'm so impressed by the way we P-car owners stick together to help one another, that always makes me proud to be one! I *might* still take one of you up on the offer, I haven't heard any chubby ladies singing yet!
Old 06-09-2006 | 06:58 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

usaa just called, they WILL buy me a new hatch!!!! COOL!
Old 06-10-2006 | 12:50 PM
mitch968
8th Gear

usaa just called, they WILL buy me a new hatch!!!! COOL!
That's good to know. I have usaa as well and have dreaded what would happen during a hatch reseal mishap. Mine is probably going under the knife sooner or later.
Old 06-13-2006 | 09:34 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

mitch - keep in mind that the glass was mounted with a sealer and in such a way that makes it VERY difficult to get the glass out completely without damaging the glass. I know folks have done it, yes, but it's very difficult and time consuming and not for the faint of heart...
Old 06-13-2006 | 05:00 PM
mitch968
8th Gear

Thanks for the warning, but I'm definitely not going to attempt it any sooner than absolutely necessary and would have a glass shop do it. If I need to reseal, I'll probably just try to get some new sealant around the edges and try to make it look good. I would think there should be some kind of solvent that could be applied and allowed to seep in to aid the removal process, no?
Old 06-14-2006 | 05:36 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

yes on the solvent - with the hatch removed and any wiring protected that might work...

the sealant Porsche used is some incredible stuff, according to the glass guys that tried to take my glass out.
Old 06-15-2006 | 12:48 AM
User 41221
Banned

I've never found a solvent that would work. I've done a fair number of hatch reseals and the number one ingredient for success is *patience*. A pile of razor blades and some glass cutting wire and you can get it done without *too*much fuss. Also, if you think of it as removing the frame from the glass, not the glass from the frame, you'll have a better time of it.

The adhesive Porsche used wasn't that good, or we wouldn't have this problem! lol

Regards,
Old 06-15-2006 | 09:40 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Paterek Brothers resealed the hatch glass on my old 968 coupe-and vowed never, ever, that they would do another. Coming from one of the top US restoration shops that's saying a lot!
Old 06-21-2006 | 05:46 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Just put the hatch in! I still have a LOT of work to do!
pics:
http://www.hoveymotorcars.com/video/...er/default.htm

I have to move the hatch anchors over, cut the old wiring harness for the wiper motor and third brake light and move it over and solder it back together - then reinstall all the trim.

It will be re-tinted on Monday.

Quick Reply: Pro Glass folks BROKE my rear hatch glass....