Antifreeze leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:06 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leak?

First off, I have a 92 968 w/ 51k.
I have noticed a slight anitifreeze smell when the car is hot, like when stuck in traffic. I've also noticed a slight drop in the antifreeze level. The resevour was low a couple of weeks ago so I topped it off, and now it's around the halfway mark. However, I haven't found any visible leaks/steam/white smoke in exhaust. It smells like hot leaking antifreeze, not burning antifreeze so I don't think it's a head gasket. Plus I normally don't smell the exhaust inside the car like I smell this.

I have heard there is a common problem w/ the heater control valve? or something like that. But I thought it was something sudden which dumped all the antifreeze inside the car. Could there be a small leak somewhere which only happens when the antifreeze is real hot?

Basically I need some advice for where/what to look for, and common problems with fixes.

Thanks,
A
Old 04-25-2006, 11:58 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only coolant leak I have seen on a 968 was the heater control valve. I believe it may crack before exploding. I suggest you replace it as a start.

Also you can borrow a radiator pressure tester from Autozone and pressurize the system to look for a leak with the engine cold.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There can be a few spots where your coolant leak would cause this smell. Primarily the inlet and outlet connectors to the heater core. They are above the exhaust and drips would cause this smell. Try tracking the return line from the coolant pipe that runs across the exhaust header and feel for both lines.
Raj
Old 04-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

These "plastic welded to aluminum" radiators only last so long too. I've replaced them once on each of my '88 944 and '92 968. Seems to be an age issue.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:54 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody. I will try to take some time and check some of the things yall mentioned. By the way, where is the heater control valve? I looked on Clarks Garage and it showed a 944 w/ it on the back of the engine, but then I read a post stating it moved to the front of the engine on the 968. Can I get some clarification?
I'm used to my truck's engine bay with LOTS of room to look around/work in, so I haven't learned the in's and outs of the 968 engine bay yet. (only had the car since early march).
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The HCV is on the passenger side of the engine near the front by the pwr steering res and above and behind the oil filter. I wish I had replaced my hcv before it failed on the track at 115 mph. I stayed on the track but 3 cars behind me went off.

Mike
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Yup, plastic unit. There appears to be an all-metal replacement, but I just replaced it with the fresh Porsche part so far.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leak?